Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization VI Is Coming This Year, Linux Will Be Supported

Phoronix: Civilization VI Is Coming This Year, Linux Will Be Supported

For fans of Sid Meier, Civilization VI was announced today and there's already confirmation of Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So excited! I hope the net code is fixed though, I can't play multiplayer worth a damn.
    Last edited by chris200x9; 11 May 2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

This is truly epic. I am extremely excited about this.
      CivGame on twitter mention that it is coming for Linux. Is that same as confirmation from Firaxis?

Civilization VI on Steam show only Windows at the moment.

Comment

I'm curious to see whether it's Aspyr or Feral doing the work as Firaxis has worked with both of them in the past (on Civ V and XCom respectively). Aspyr actually writes native OpenGL pipelines whereas Feral typically ships their "IndirectX" wrapper and the results are noticeably different.

I'm very sympathetic to Feral's approach because I know that the scope of these contracts, as well as the relatively small Linux/OSX audience and the state they receive the source code in, often isn't sufficient for a full OpenGL "conversion" -- if anything I think I'd like to see them working on upstream Wine if they're going to be writing a wrapper anyway. That said, I would prefer to see Aspyr handle this.

Or, ideally, the Windows version is native Vulkan and doesn't need much porting. That's unlikely though, for the main reason that these games have a pretty big Mac audience and there's still no Vulkan on Mac. It's a shame, because having a cross-platform API that people actually want to code for more than they want to code for OpenGL would be really nice in cases like these...
        Last edited by axfelix; 11 May 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Not buying it until it's available under Linux.

Comment

This is one of the games that I couldn't care less if it had day 1 Linux client. If it is like the last two Civ games, then the first release will feel incomplete compared to Civ V.

Comment

If this is as bad as Beyond Earth they can keep it.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Those screenshots on their Twitter don't look too good though... The only thing which could be polished in Civ5 (although not by much) was the looks but they went to a less photorealistic direction as it seems. I can't think of any other improvement for Civ5 which would indicate a new major version.
                Last edited by yzsolt; 11 May 2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
                  Those screenshots on their Twitter don't look too good though... The only thing which could be polished in Civ5 (although not by much) was the looks but they went into a less photorealistic direction as it seems. I can't think any improvement for Civ5 which would indicate a new major version.
                  Oh god that art style is awful

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                    Awwww, looks like the average PayAlotToMaybeWinSomeday Android game.

Comment

Working...
                    X