No announcement yet.

Yes, There Is Vulkan Support In Doom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will port the damn thing over to Linux for free.

I'm getting sick of this shit.

If your game is in DX then yeah I understand it's a massive undertaking to port to another platform. But that isn't the case if your game is already OpenGL / Vulkan.

Comment

Activision I think has taken more of political stance against any Linux ports, even spending very little of that money is not worth it - profit is a king. Said that, this really bonds well for Vulkan API and indirectly Linux, because it is clearly id software approves it's performance characterictics, and it is *always* a good sign (due of id software being 3D graphics gurus).

So while Doom port most likely won't ever be done (and fraaaankly I am bit torn do I even want to see it done) this is really good news in long term.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post

Vulkan does not exist for the sole purpose of creating Linux applications.
        If you are developing a windows only application you may also use Vulkan, it's not that mind-boggling.

It's not mind-boggling, no. It's just that being able to be cross platform is pretty high on the list of advantages.

Comment

Maybe they're looking into Android port later? And yea, denying Linux/SteamOS can only happen for political reasons.

Comment

Vulkan is a good move for windows also, means people running older versions then windows 10 can enjoy the performance boost. I think MS kinda shot themselves in the foot by restricting DX12 to windows10. In the long run.

Comment

i don't care anymore, the new doom looks awful and everyone i know of who has tried it has said it's a giant disappointment, just a generic triple-a turd cash in. if you want to play doom go play brutal doom, it's the real successor to doom and the best thing to happen to the series since the original.

Comment

Originally posted by e_tank View Post
                i don't care anymore, the new doom looks awful and everyone i know of who has tried it has said it's a giant disappointment, just a generic triple-a turd cash in. if you want to play doom go play brutal doom, it's the real successor to doom and the best thing to happen to the series since the original.
                It looks more like parody of original game (poking eyes of monsters, really?) with bright colors and fast paced combat...Looking back even Doom 3 fit atmosphere more perfectly. I really don't get where ID Sofware goes with this but heck do I know something about modern gaming.

Comment

If they bring it for Linux - I will buy it. As simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    So they have a Vulkan version but no intention to support Linux / SteamOS.

Dafuq?
                    ID's engines have a long history of using OpenGL. The original Quake got support in a post launch patch, the sequel had support from launch and the with the third game used nothing but OpenGL. However as far as I know id has never officially released any of their games on Linux despite moving straight to OpenGL from their original software renderer and staying there. Like the rest of id's games since Quake 2, the Windows version of the Doom reboot uses OpenGL by default. I think the only Direct3D renderer they've made for that game is for the xbox version.
                    Last edited by L_A_G; 09 May 2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I think that, they id it mainly as proof of technological skill and Nvidia partnership nothing more, better performance on Windows 7 and 8 is just bonus.

I dont really thing that Bethesda care about Linux, there need to be something like 1 million Linux version sales guarantee before they would.

We will maybe see Mac port - OpenGL port of Doom like in case of Rage.

Comment

Working...
                      X