Stellaris Released With Same-Day Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skriticos View Post
    Just bought it with the very slim chance that this might work on my Intel NUC5 (integrated graphics) and to my supersize it started up with absolutely no problem and seems to work (at least entering a new game). I'm kind of blown away, good work Paradox!

Wow! I will have to try it on my NUC.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post

Wow! I will have to try it on my NUC.

Wait, sorry my NUC is not 5, but NUC6i5 (stupid "i" thingies), but still.. the integrated graphics work like a charm. I'm very positively surprised. Should work on earlier models too, especially since I have very good experience with Paradox games even with 3rd gen. Intel HW (with EU IV).

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

​Booting a Windows gaming system into Linux seems like a crazy idea.
        What the hell? Booting a computer into a different operating system seems like a crazy idea?

Comment

Originally posted by skriticos View Post

Wait, sorry my NUC is not 5, but NUC6i5 (stupid "i" thingies), but still.. the integrated graphics work like a charm. I'm very positively surprised. Should work on earlier models too, especially since I have very good experience with Paradox games even with 3rd gen. Intel HW (with EU IV).
          I have a NUC5i7RYH. I'll try it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post

He's talking about having a dual-boot system. You either boot into windows or boot into linux.
            I do think that I understood that, yes.

The crazy idea is that Linux would run games better than Windows, to make it worthwhile to reboot.

Comment

The crazy idea is that Linux would run games better than Windows, to make it worthwhile to reboot.
              Won't know til you try, would you?

Anyway yes, in many cases Linux gaming performance is up to or even better that Windows'. It all runs down to the quality of the specific game, whether it's native or a port, etc. Considering that Stellaris has Day 1 support, I'm quite positive on its performance.

Comment

​Booting a Windows gaming system into Linux seems like a crazy idea.
                I played Stellaris this evening on my stationary Windows gaming PC, booted into Linux.

Because I could.

Comment

I remember a friend playing WOW on Linux due to better network latencies.

Comment

Installed it and played several hours on my Yoga 2 Pro (Intel i5-4200, integrated graphics). Same machine I run EU4 on, and this is just EU4 in space with random opponents. Performance was just fine, had to scale down to 1920x1080 because oh god my eyes. Wish the Steam client had a scaling option.

Gameplay-wise, I suspect Paradox has the same strategy of releasing DLC as it has for its other properties, because it sure needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                      Gameplay-wise, I suspect Paradox has the same strategy of releasing DLC as it has for its other properties, because it sure needs it.
                      I think when Paradox designes a game, the 50+ DLCs are finished first and then they start working on the main game that holds the DLC together..

Comment

Working...
                      X