Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Games Are Most Important To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stedevil
    replied
    Battle of Wesnoth
    FreedroidRPG (Diablo/Fallout like)
    UFO: Alien Invasion (X-com like)

Other than that I've been doing some HOMMV via wine lately

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    Well, i just meant, if lets say the linux porting goes thru, and customers start buying, and they have a question on how to install or setup their linux game client on their linux box, would LGP be taking those calls?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Couldnt you talk to them now and see if they have changed their opinions regarding gamebryo running in linux? 5 years is a somewhat long time, linux is more widely accepted now.
    NOT in the gaming space it's not. If it were, we wouldn't have the ongoing discussion we've got in the wishlist thread and we'd have things like UT3 on schedule and Vivendi wouldn't have told Blizzard to nix the WoW client for Linux. In the gaming space, we're somewhere between 3-5 years lagging behind the general acceptance. Why? Because the rest doesn't NEED apps, etc. to forge it forward. With the games space, you need sign-off from people who care about sales figures and we don't present a big enough picture for most of them to actually CARE about us either way.

However, having said this... It's not a bad thing to consider talking with them about it. Me, I'd wait a bit to see what fruits come of the porting discussion thread before going to them. Many of the AAA titles use that engine and it translates into the same level of resistance, really.

Woudlnt LGP help in supporting a linux port of gamebryo too?
    Heh... Only if it was in conjunction with a major title win- like one of the Elder Scrolls ones. Seriously speaking, they're only going to allow the work if they see a real demand for Linux support (something we've basically shown our backsides to the industry with all these years- it's been a lot of "Hand it to us, hand it to us... Oh, you mean we have to BUY it again even though I paid for the Windows version? (Or, 'Oh, you mean we have to spend more than the current Windows version selling in the bargain bins?') Well, F*CK you...I'm giving myself the copy ANYHOW...") or if someone ponies up cold hard cash to be allowed to make it happen or to have them make it happen for you.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Indeed. However, when I talked with the Gamebryo people back about 5 years ago they weren't one of the ones that effectively laughed in my face (That was GameSpy and a few others like 'em, FYI...)- they just indicated that it was something they'd not given a lot of thought about, but that it should not be too hard if there was a real or actually perceived demand for a Linux version of Gamebryo as it was already completely cross-platform and they knew it wasn't hard to make a migration from MacOS to Linux, coding-wise. It was more out of support concerns that they didn't commit to anything.
    Couldnt you talk to them now and see if they have changed their opinions regarding gamebryo running in linux? 5 years is a somewhat long time, linux is more widely accepted now. Woudlnt LGP help in supporting a linux port of gamebryo too?

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    Im making a comparison with the dell community center where they asked for the "community" over there if they would buy a laptop and/or desktop pc that came with linux pre-loaded. Inmediately many people said YES!, which looked like there was demand at least at that moment. When the linux computers were released, there were lackluster sales. Apparently the people who voted were not making any commitment to actually buy them, and were just enthusiastic about dell selling boxes with linux.
    Or perhaps they made it nearly impossible to BUY the machines with Linux pre-loaded. I know in Ireland, they don't offer any of the Ubuntu laptops, and when they offer RHEL laptops in the enterprise market, you are jumping through loops just to get them to even admit it's on the list of products.

Couple that with shoving Linux on the wrong models (>$1k consumer laptops are power machines!) and you have a recipe for lacklustre sales. If they instead took their $500 laptops, and offered a Ubuntu version prominantly and easily it would be a fairer contest.

Leave a comment:

• faemir
    replied
    UT2K4, NWN, Teeworlds, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Battle For Wesnoth, Penumbra Overture / Black Plague, ET:QW, Doom 3, Quake 4, WINE (lots)

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
    Yup, kinda depressing.

What if people would get a couple thousand names under a pledge making a promise to buy any of several games named in the pledge, if and only if there was a native linux version? Is there any credibility in such a claim from a game developer's perspective, and how many names would it take to be financially relevant? Or has it been tried already?
    Umpteen times.

Petitions do NOT equate to sales.

Pledges do NOT equate to sales unless you have each person pony up the cash, up-front. Moreover, a couple thousand of those sorts of pledges won't amount to much unless you're talking to an indie with something other than a AAA title in hand. There's not anywhere NEAR enough money involved to turn most studios' heads.

Edit: I think i misunderstood the topic. I thought it meant what games i'd most like to see on linux.
    Heh... It's okay... There's another thread over in this section dedicated to that purpose. Read the thread from start to finish and then contribute your wishes if you think we've not already covered it and it looks to you to be something perhaps chasing after.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Another problem with elder scrolls games in linux might be that at least for the 2 latest elder scrolls games, Morrowind and Oblivion, AFAIK, Bethesda used a 3rd party licensed engine and technology calle Gamebryo. So that means that it's not actually their technology to license and or release. Maybe the first 2 games, Arena and Daggerfall, which if im correct, their engines were made entirely by Bethesda.
    Indeed. However, when I talked with the Gamebryo people back about 5 years ago they weren't one of the ones that effectively laughed in my face (That was GameSpy and a few others like 'em, FYI...)- they just indicated that it was something they'd not given a lot of thought about, but that it should not be too hard if there was a real or actually perceived demand for a Linux version of Gamebryo as it was already completely cross-platform and they knew it wasn't hard to make a migration from MacOS to Linux, coding-wise. It was more out of support concerns that they didn't commit to anything.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    Yes, i think theyve tried before. Usually it's called petitiononline. :P . And everyone knows, that those are laughed at by these companies. I assume that a "pledge" can be meaningless too, since people arent going to actually buy it. Im making a comparison with the dell community center where they asked for the "community" over there if they would buy a laptop and/or desktop pc that came with linux pre-loaded. Inmediately many people said YES!, which looked like there was demand at least at that moment. When the linux computers were released, there were lackluster sales. Apparently the people who voted were not making any commitment to actually buy them, and were just enthusiastic about dell selling boxes with linux. It's not like an election where people (at least in theory) are making a commitment on their choice.

Another problem with elder scrolls games in linux might be that at least for the 2 latest elder scrolls games, Morrowind and Oblivion, AFAIK, Bethesda used a 3rd party licensed engine and technology calle Gamebryo. So that means that it's not actually their technology to license and or release. Maybe the first 2 games, Arena and Daggerfall, which if im correct, their engines were made entirely by Bethesda.

Leave a comment:

• Pahanilmanlintu
    replied
    Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    -- Also FOSS engines for a windows game still means you are voting for a windows title as you bought a windows only game --
    Yup, kinda depressing.

What if people would get a couple thousand names under a pledge making a promise to buy any of several games named in the pledge, if and only if there was a native linux version? Is there any credibility in such a claim from a game developer's perspective, and how many names would it take to be financially relevant? Or has it been tried already?

Edit: I think i misunderstood the topic. I thought it meant what games i'd most like to see on linux.
    Last edited by Pahanilmanlintu; 05 September 2008, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X