Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Games Are Most Important To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BZFlag

It's about the only (computer) game I play.

MWM

Comment

• ET:Wolfenstein (in the past)
      ETQW (now)
      Neverwinter Nights (one of the best game of my life)
      Frozen Bubble
      Battle for Wesnoth

Comment

• WINE (and cedega) - FALLOUT 1 & 2 (the best games ever made), but they're now unplayable due to wine regression :/
        Temple of Elemental Evil (unplayable due to wine regression...), Fallout Tactics, Knights of Honor, Jagged Alliance 2, Dangerous Waters, Flanker 2.5, Homeworld (1&C), AoE 2, Deus Ex.

Native:
        NWN, Quake 3, TC:Elite, Urban Terror, Spring, Wesnoth, Frozen Bubble, FreeSpace 2

Comment

• If wine games that work perfectly also count, I vote for Prey.

Comment

• Quake4, Doom3 and SuperTux.
            +Some games through Wine (ricardogh: just played through Prey again myself the other day

Comment

• Originally posted by cyrex View Post
              On WINE i play:
              +WoW
              +Penumbra Part 1, Part 2
              +Starcraft + Broodwar
              +Civilization 4
              +N4SU, N4SU2
              +Max Payne 1 & 2
              Did you write to them and tell them that you would prefer a native Linux port?

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              If a company cares about the game running in Wine, they don't care about the game running on Linux (wee, paradox!). Wine is way too volatile for the type of gaurantee developers/publishers would give, so those that would say "Wine is good enough" really doesn't care if Wine runs it or not.

Being officially supported by something like Cedega or CrossOver (where game compatibility is gauranteed for certain titles) would be something else, but then, with the work needed to get it working properly and get an official gaurantee of continued compatibility.. may as well just make a native Linux port at that point (especially if you have the hard part done with porting to GL+AL/whatever with an OSX port).
              That argument is not really valid anymore with Wine 1.0. They can say that the game is certified to run on Wine 1.0, and with any other version you are on your own. Then there is no moving target to chase.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
                id Games, most of all ET:QW
                Same but add the occasional UT2003 to that.

Also WoW via Wine ...

Comment

• Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
                  Did you write to them and tell them that you would prefer a native Linux port?
                  Interestingly enough, Penumbra part 1 and 2 does have native Linux ports (the demo and full game).

That argument is not really valid anymore with Wine 1.0. They can say that the game is certified to run on Wine 1.0, and with any other version you are on your own. Then there is no moving target to chase.
                  Still doesn't strike me as something a developer/publisher, that at all cared about it running on Linux, would say. If you developed a game on Win95, you'd still expect it to run on Win95b or even Win98. Granted with something like Windows 2000/XP some apps do break, but that's generally well beyond the expected support stage of the game (and not something the developers could have accounted for even if they wanted to). Games that were made closer to WinXP's release were more likely to run on it, even if it was released for Win9x.

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                    To be honest, I've always wanted to get Baldur's Gate 2 to work, but much of that GEMrb refuses to cooperate with me.
                    I am a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate games, and they work great with wine in my experience.

Comment

• WTF people... no one's interested in The Elder Scrolls games? There's actually an open source effort under way to make an Ogre3d-based engine that would use Morrowind assets, so hopefully that would provide a solution for that (yeah i guess wine could work too). I hear Oblivion works under wine too, but it probably wouldn't run too good. Anyway, the list:

1. TES: Oblivion and all future sequels

2. All X-Com / UFO games including those recent ones by Altar

3. Unreal Tournament series

Comment

Working...
                      X