Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Games Are Most Important To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few days ago, I re-installed Cold War on my machine, and been hooked. I had forgotten how good this game actually is! , so it gets another mention from me

Comment

• I don't know about Cold War. I only played a little of that from the demo. And then the demo always froze my Linux box. From what I've seen, I'm not very impressed. In fairness, I only got through like a few minutes of the demo.

Comment

• The gameplay takes a few minutes to getting used to. Reminds me a bit of Deus Ex, though it is more like Metal Gear Solid (alas, the main character lacks all the fancy stuff and moves, which makes it kind of appealing)

Comment

• It seemed like a real watered down version of Splinter Cell. Lord knows I've been through multitudes of mediocre stealth action games. From what I saw, I was not going to try to work through all the kernel panics and game freezing to play it.

Comment

• Heroes of Might and Magic III
            Quake III
            Wine
            and also the ones I forgot

Comment

• Jagged Alliance 2
              • Doom 3
              • ScummVM
              • Neverwinter Nights
              • Wine
              • Smaller games like SuperTux for distraction
              • Celestia ? not a game, but great fun nonetheless!

I used to play the native Linux port of Jagged Alliance 2 quite a lot, until it stopped working due to closed source bit-rot. So, if truth be told, I resorted to dual-booting and sometimes Wine to play the current v1.13 mod of the game.

Comment

• Well just joined so thought I would add In no particular order:

UT
                UT2k4

Come on Epic I'm STILL WAITING
                Had to have a dig sorry mods/admins

Quake3 + TA
                STV:Slite force
                Serious Sam 1 & 2
                Freespace 2
                Doom3 + ROE
                ET:QW (Just bought after finding they do native client, I'm hooked on it now)
                Nexuiz
                Alien arena
                Prey demo (Just trying it at the mo)
                Chromiun (Very addictive)
                Forsaken (Only found this the other week that its Ported/working on linux)

Theres a few I didn't realize had ports from this topic

X2 demo Had a look on egosoft.com seems very good game but the demo just seg faults
                X3 looks v nice also when its done.(you may have a another fan if I can get it to work...)
                From what I've seen It reminds me of X-com/freespace2. both I liked

C&C Generals Has a installer but I believe it requires wine.No Multiplayer though

Pete

Comment

• Savage 2

They ship a native 64bit version, and, you can alt+tab out of the game just fine in fullscreen mode!

which is something amazing, 99% of the open-source games aren't even able to accomplish that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    Savage 2

They ship a native 64bit version, and, you can alt+tab out of the game just fine in fullscreen mode!

which is something amazing, 99% of the open-source games aren't even able to accomplish that.
                    I may be wrong, but I do believe that task-switching is not supported by SDL, or requires to be implemented by the programmers or something to that effect. Maybe Savage does not use SDL in any way and relies on good-old GLX which I do believe DOES support task-switching (the key combination is changed, IIRC), but you are absolutely right in that not many games support task-switching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      I may be wrong, but I do believe that task-switching is not supported by SDL, or requires to be implemented by the programmers or something to that effect.
                      It's supposed to be supported. But, it's not wholly automagic. Outbound from the game should work right, but on inbound, you have to catch the notification event and do the right things to have it work right. Many games don't catch this tidbit (Now that reminds me...gotta check that in at least Bandits... ) Now, having said this, not all versions of the SDL supported this and many games do an LD_PRELOAD of their chosen .so's (NWN being one of the culprits there... ) so it could be a mix of plain flat NOT supporting it and not doing the right things with the support that IS there.

Maybe Savage does not use SDL in any way and relies on good-old GLX which I do believe DOES support task-switching (the key combination is changed, IIRC), but you are absolutely right in that not many games support task-switching.
                      Savage doesn't appear to be using SDL when you check .so's via ldd. And it's not that they don't support task-switching, they don't support it properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X