• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
    Native 39.4\62.9\54.4
    Nine 43.2\71\63.7
    windows 8 68\100\85.3
    Yup, not buying any more games so far. Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor are already unplayable on i7 3632QM + HD 7970M with lowest settings and Dirt Showdown also doesn't run with stable 60 FPS which a racing game really should.

Getting a little more FPS with windows - sure. But this is a good bit over 50% more performance on windows.

Also goes to show that nine's claim to "near native windows performance" isn't exactly true. Yet, it is still better than the native linux port...
    With csgo I too already rather play the windows version in wine with nine because it runs noticeably better than the native version. If only it wouldn't have 0.5-1 second long random stutters...

Someone asked if they use Vulkan https://twitter.com/feralgames/statu...81956133523456 and of course they don't.
    But I really hope that with their next ports they're going to reconsider. Of course they can't just port it to Vulkan, but looking at The Talos Principle early Vulkan results, even with a naive renderer you get up to 50% performance improvement on AMD GPUs compared to OpenGL (my guess is: on everything that doesn't have nvidia's secret sauce).

Comment

But is it the port, the driver, or both's fault?

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
        TressFX is pretty much unusable, don't even get 25 FPS with it enabled.
        Yeah, it seems TressFX got huge perf improvements with version 2.0 (which is used in the more recent Tomb Raider). Would have been cool to get it instead of 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
          TressFX is pretty much unusable, don't even get 25 FPS with it enabled.
          You're not missing out on much if you disable it. At first glance it looks cool, but if you pay more attention in the benchmark you'll notice that the hair behaviour is still pretty awful. If you're not paying that much attention then you don't need TressFX anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            if you buy games before port is released, porters get no money
            I didn't expect this game to be ported but like a bunch of other ones that came out for Linux, I install on Linux and uninstall for Windows. Maybe the porters don't get paid for that but I'll bet that Steam notices.

I'll give it a shot and see how it plays on my A10-7850 and try to post a some numbers; and I'll do that just after Michael figures out how to get the command-line benchmarks going.

I guess I'm excited, I really enjoyed TR and I'll like it even more now that there's a native(ish) port.

Comment

The saves are not synched with the windows version... that sucks, I can't continue my game
              Also, while in Windows I can run it in Ultra (minux FXAA) at 1440p, in Linux I am forced to run it at 1080p and quite low performance... oh well

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                Performance of the built-in benchmark with A10-7850K + R9 390 + Mesa 11.3.0-git + 1080p:

Depth of field "ultra" setting requires an unsupported OpenGL extension (OpenGL 4.4?). Or it's a Mesa bug.

Note: R9 390 requires "echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level", otherwise it will hang.
                I felt obliged to "Like" for the results... and for the post-It powa!!

Comment

You're not missing out on much if you disable it. At first glance it looks cool, but if you pay more attention in the benchmark you'll notice that the hair behaviour is still pretty awful. If you're not paying that much attention then you don't need TressFX anyway.
                  That's not entirely untrue, but it does look better, even if the physics are bad.

Anyway, the actual game has been running well so far, at least with overclocked GPU. This might actually be the first AAA game that I'm going to play on Linux

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    Maybe the porters don't get paid for that
                    s/maybe/surely/

Comment

19.99$ for three years old game, sure why not. What happened to Rise of Tomb Raider? and by the way that bitch ever gonna aged?

Comment

Working...
                      X