It's Been Four Years Since Revealing Many Early Steam Linux Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Well, there current situation might be great for old Linux users but for people interested in buying a steam machine without interest in Linux will be disappointed.
    With the current state, all attempts to sell steamos/steammachines wouldn't be accepted i think. . .
    I hope Valve just waits for the right moment to come.
    Just put Steam boxes on the market priced the same as PS4 or less and Valve will get rich instantly.

There is enough big titles for everyone (more than on every console) and this way developpers will be interrested in, using Vulkan to make native games.
    Those games would be compatible to be played on Linux distros and voilĂ .

This idea of partnerships was good in theory but Steam Machines are far too expensive atm...

Why not put :
    - a "basic pack" including Pentium + NVidia 740 + 120 GB SSD => this would make 299$
    - a "gold pack" including i5 + NVIdia 960 + 512GB SSD for hard gamers/enthousiasts => 599$

(just an example, ofc they could use ATI )

The game detects the Steambox and auto-accords settings put by devs: simple, plug & play.

This are retail prices, if they produce them in mass they can get ~25% discount probably

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's amazing what people will do for a case of good beer, isn't it
      So, you are saying that Michael should show up at the AMD HQ with a case of good beer, and you will show him some interesting stuff for us?

Seriously, we really need Michael to visit some new (or revisit old) places, instead of these "Now it is X years since I visited Y" articles.

Comment

Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
        The road of SteamOS and Steam Machine is a dead end.

The Problem: The hardware is expensive, the system is dumb. If I wish cheap, I get a PS4 or XBox. If I wish powerful, I get Windows PC.
        The Right Way: SteamOS makes real differences to a PS4/XBox and a Windows PC.
        1. Bleeding edge technologies including Vulken / virt-gpu driver.
        2. Hypervisor supports various network / audio / display driver.
        3. Some nice integration.
        Add to this a deported tablet to play without tv and you have a Wii U

I cannot follow your idea with VMs, because 3D performances are far to be good ATM...
        Last edited by Passso; 25 April 2016, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Hmm .... there's enough titles on Steam that work on Linux, there's not enough AAA titles but well.

What I'd like to see:

1. Able to install other platform game. I want to wine wrap the windows only games that I have without the hassle of steam client wrapping.
          2. Ability to filter news by platform. Maybe I am just dumb and blind, but I have never found a reliable way to get Linux news in a dedicated manner (section/page/window).
          3. Ability to filter the http steam page by platform. When browsing from work, featured page has 99% windows only titles while on the linux client it is the other way around. No way to make web behave the same as standalone client
          4. As was mentioned a kickstarter/early access like option to fund linux ports. I have several games that I'd love to pay for a linux port but there's no way to do so.
          5. EARLY ACCESS bullshit police. There's lot of crap on Steam EA that takes space and attention away from legitimate titles. Valve should actively policy early access

Thus ends the rant ...

Comment

Please will drop 32bit and support only 64! Thanks.
            Vangers developer. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/264080)

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
              Hmm .... there's enough titles on Steam that work on Linux, there's not enough AAA titles but well.

What I'd like to see:

1. Able to install other platform game. I want to wine wrap the windows only games that I have without the hassle of steam client wrapping.
              2. Ability to filter news by platform. Maybe I am just dumb and blind, but I have never found a reliable way to get Linux news in a dedicated manner (section/page/window).
              3. Ability to filter the http steam page by platform. When browsing from work, featured page has 99% windows only titles while on the linux client it is the other way around. No way to make web behave the same as standalone client
              4. As was mentioned a kickstarter/early access like option to fund linux ports. I have several games that I'd love to pay for a linux port but there's no way to do so.
              5. EARLY ACCESS bullshit police. There's lot of crap on Steam EA that takes space and attention away from legitimate titles. Valve should actively policy early access

Thus ends the rant ...
              Yep agree, Valve could put in front page the titles for your system instead of those which would make more money...
              I wish we could welcome back the pinguin icon too, instead of the Steam logo because this is confusing.

Concerning the filter, sorry, but you yes... you are dumb and blind : just click on "Game -> Steam OS + Linux"

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Add to this a deported tablet to play without tv and you have a Wii U

I cannot follow your idea with VMs, because 3D performances are far to be good ATM...
                3D performance can be good depends on which solution you use. Near 100% performance can be archived by "native driver + PCI passthrough" and followed by "native driver + virt-gpu".

Comment

Valve is doing the right thing by focusing on the Linux graphics drivers. They can start pushing Steam Machines once the Linux graphics drivers are on par with Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    With VGA Passthrough the performances will be similar to the best... But you'll must have a second graphic circuit for that. A PC with Intel + Nvidia, or AMD + additionnal card will be fine !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9QwDmYBRgg (for example)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      It's amazing what people will do for a case of good beer, isn't it
                      AFAIK SteamOS systems don't get counted as "Linux" yet... I think it's because the survey code doesn't run on them, but don't remember for sure.
                      I have a steambox running steamos (slightly modified to do bcache, and later on fcoe). No survey.
                      I have been running steam big picture for over a year now on another machine. No survey.
                      The desktop interface is something I seldomly see. My intel desktop is for games, or remote for other stuff. If I need something done like videowork I minimize big picture and start the videostuff from remote.
                      I wonder if I have seen the survey once running wine... I am not sure...
                      I haven't used wine since last year, as the support for the steam controller is 0 without a lot of work.

Comment

Working...
                      X