Tomb Raider Linux Requirements Released, Looks Like It Will Work With Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Compile the gallium nine, then you know why wine developers like csmt more. Csmt have no drawbacks, only wine-staging developers are lazy to take care of csmt and the guy who did code csmt is not working for wine-staging anymore.
    completely wrong. wine-staging stopped supporting csmt once wine started working on inclusion mainline. it is damn hard patching something when partial inclusion already exists and changes with each release

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
      Now you're being agist! :P
      Well, I'll never be a woman, but I was a kid once

Comment

This is very good news. A lot of people have been on Ferel's back over their lack of support for AMD. It seems to me that isn't because they didn't want to support AMD or didn't care about it but because they weren't in a position to support it. And now they are it seems, and they've stepped up.

You can't blame Ferel for the crappy AMD drivers. But now that the free drivers are viable, and significantly less crappy than Catalyst, they take the opportunity to support them. Good on Ferel I say. Even if the performance is ropey (which I'm guessing will be the case), it's a positive move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          So it needs HD 5770 2GB minimum.
          That's an DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.2 card so the need for mesa 11.2 sounds a bit strange to me if it supports OpenGL 3.2 but i guess there were some mesa bugs.
          That card supports OpenGL 4.x since Catalyst 10, so I guess it can use OpenGL 4.x with mesa. http://www.ozone3d.net/public/jegx/2...capsviewer.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            Where did you get this OpenGL 3.2?

I wonder if my GTX 460 (1 GiB video ram) can run this. Gotta try some day.
            I googled HD 5770 and saw that it only supports OpenGL3.2

Comment

I googled HD 5770 and saw that it only supports OpenGL3.2
              That's because the vast majority of websites only list the OpenGL version the card supported at the time of it's release For example, my old 9800GT was always listed with support for OpenGL 2.1, but that's only at the time of it's release. As time passed by, NVIDIA ported newer OpenGL versions to new drivers, and by the time the card died (2015) it had OpenGL 3.2.

The same with AMD. My R9 270X is always listed with support 4.3, but as I install newer drivers it supports 4.5 (fglrx).

That 5770 easily supports OpenGL 4, and that is with the VERY old Catalyst 10, so I assume it can use OpenGL 4.x with mesa nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

That's because the vast majority of websites only list the OpenGL version the card supported at the time of it's release For example, my old 9800GT was always listed with support for OpenGL 2.1, but that's only at the time of it's release. As time passed by, NVIDIA ported newer OpenGL versions to new drivers, and by the time the card died (2015) it had OpenGL 3.2.

The same with AMD. My R9 270X is always listed with support 4.3, but as I install newer drivers it supports 4.5 (fglrx).

That 5770 easily supports OpenGL 4, and that is with the VERY old Catalyst 10, so I assume it can use OpenGL 4.x with mesa nowadays.
                Well, I'm not sure. I think the last bit is still 64bit floating point? I'm not sure what the specific status is for that 5770 though. Some of those cards do have hardware support for it, but I don't know how to tell. A search of this forum will find answers I'm sure.

Comment

But still i can only find 1GB versions of the card.
                  Is there an "2GB AMD 5770 (driver version MESA 11.2)" as written in the minimum requirements?
                  Will your Linux PC survive the action and adventure in Tomb Raider? Minimum system requirements call for an Intel i3 <span class='overflowelipsis'>…</span>

I looked at the card at AMD http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/gr...ktop/5000/5770 and it says OpenGL3.2 and Terascale 2.
                  https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/250/radeon-hd-5770 Shows it as an OpenGL4.3 but still only as an 1GB card
                  It's Evergreen so it might have OpenGL4.1 (or fp64 isn't needed (my google search showed that it only has partial fp64 support in hw)) + other extensions if the games asks for specific extensions.
                  So it might need higher OpenGL extensions after all.
                  It would be easier if they listed the highest supported OpenGL in the specs and then pointed to that drivers might support less at release.

Comment

But still i can only find 1GB versions of the card.
                    Is there an "2GB AMD 5770 (driver version MESA 11.2)" as written in the minimum requirements?
                    Will your Linux PC survive the action and adventure in Tomb Raider? Minimum system requirements call for an Intel i3 <span class='overflowelipsis'>…</span>

I looked at the card at AMD http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/gr...ktop/5000/5770 and it says OpenGL3.2 and Terascale 2.
                    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/250/radeon-hd-5770 Shows it as an OpenGL4.3 but still only as an 1GB card
                    It's Evergreen so it might have OpenGL4.1 (or fp64 isn't needed (my google search showed that it only has partial fp64 support in hw)) + other extensions if the games asks for specific extensions.
                    So it might need higher OpenGL extensions after all.
                    It would be easier if they listed the highest supported OpenGL in the specs and then pointed to that drivers might support less at release.
                    Wait. Are you searching for a 2 GB version of that card.. to buy?

I don't condemn it, but may I ask why don't go for newer cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

Wait. Are you searching for a 2 GB version of that card.. to buy?

I don't condemn it, but may I ask why don't go for newer cards?
                      No i'm not, but it seems that the minimum requirements is an impossible combo since there is no 2GB AMD 5770.

Comment

Working...
                      X