Tomb Raider Linux Requirements Released, Looks Like It Will Work With Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb Raider Linux Requirements Released, Looks Like It Will Work With Mesa

Phoronix: Tomb Raider Linux Requirements Released, Looks Like It Will Work With Mesa

With prepping for the imminent release of Tomb Raider for Linux, Feral Interactive today published the Linux system requirements for this popular game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mother of Mercy!
    Is this possibly the first time that a large title is announced with requirements that mention the freedom driver stack?! This really lifts my mood. And probably it will also lift some money (as soon as I have some) from my purse towards the feral folks.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Good also they mention i3 as minimal CPU as some people at arstechnica tested Alien Isolation with a antique dualcore:

Was a good laugh though.
      I haven't finished playing on Windows, around 65% or so. Curious about comparing details on both systems with high settings.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Max FPS: 43.8
        Average FPS: 32.3
        Why you have not tested with with gallium-nine? For me nine show about ~90% of windows performance, I do not think that feral can do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Mother of Mercy!
          Is this possibly the first time that a large title is announced with requirements that mention the freedom driver stack?! This really lifts my mood. And probably it will also lift some money (as soon as I have some) from my purse towards the feral folks.
          most probably because Mesa is just catching up with requirements and i would guess you'll see the Mesa support being announced for their older games as well. lot of games and engines focused on 4.3 when doing 4+ path which kind of makes sense when you look at extensions.

it just doesn't make sense to lower requirements when you know that the reason why you would do that will soon disappear. Mesa was bound to reach barrier. or would you prefer everyone would get worser ports just so Mesa would be supported few months earlier?

Comment

CSMT is disabled in 1.9.6 and to the unknown future. CSMT gives you 50% better fps.
            unknown future is really unknown when you look at previous attempt to get it in mainline Wine

CSMT only gives performance boost in certain cases and it might as well vary from -20%-200% or more. games that employ threads in same manner like RE5 will perform worse unless you disable internal threading in either Wine or game. if you run both, same job just gets duplicated which can often result in game not working at all, not just worse performance. performance gain will also vary on how many cores your cpu has
            Last edited by justmy2cents; 18 April 2016, 08:23 AM.

Comment

So it needs HD 5770 2GB minimum.
              That's an DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.2 card so the need for mesa 11.2 sounds a bit strange to me if it supports OpenGL 3.2 but i guess there were some mesa bugs.
              I also find the 2GB memory on AMD GPU very high.
              The minimum on windows is DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600 with an 2.0 GHz CPU.
              Why is the minimum requirements always so much higher on the port?
              The Linux minimum is pretty close to windows recommended apart from the need for 2GB on the AMD GPU on linux and i can understand that they probably ported the Dx11.
              I was hoping that the game would work on my laptop but it only has 1GB memory it's an ported 2013 game after all.
              But it might still work in wine.

Comment

I do not know what re5 is but for all dx9 games we have, wine-staging csmt gives huge fps boost. Games we have from StarStable to Elders Scroll Skyrim and gpus from A8-7600 to 750ti. Cores we have from 2 to 4.
                Resident Evil 5.

Comment

Without csmt you will have 10 fps at 720p in your laptop, if the gpu is slower than r7 250 ddr3.
                  I use gallium-nine if it works.

Originally posted by atomsymbol

(Unconfirmed)

The higher memory requirement may be related to texture compression. On Gentoo, media-libs/libtxc_dxtn needs to be installed for GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc when using Mesa OpenGL drivers.

http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/611/ isn't mentioning Mesa in relation to Nvidia GPUs, so open-source OpenGL likely isn't supported on Nvidia GPUs.

With proprietary fglrx or amdgpu-pro drivers the memory requirement might be 1GB instead of 2GB. http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/611/ isn't mentioning proprietary AMD drivers, so these drivers might have a problem running the game.
                  "1GB of memory for NVIDIA and 2GB for AMD cards." and i got an AMD card in my laptop (or 2) NI and Southern Islands GCN1.0 with 1GB aruba+hainan.

Comment

I do not know what re5 is but for all dx9 games we have, wine-staging csmt gives huge fps boost. Games we have from StarStable to Elders Scroll Skyrim and gpus from A8-7600 to 750ti. Cores we have from 2 to 4.
                    https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=re5 Resident Evil 5 and later. all the games with same engine have MultiThreadWorker=0/1 option in configuration and if you use CSMT you better set it on 0 (default is 1). same thing as MultiThreadWorker has also shown in some later DX9/11 engines, although most games by default ship it disabled.

this option does more or less exact same thing as CSMT, so if you use both same job that optimized things is now done twice

it might even be best to play around with vanilla Wine+MultiThreadWorker=1, because sometimes you end up with better result than using CSMT and MultiThreadWorker=0
                    Last edited by justmy2cents; 18 April 2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X