Saints Row 2 & Saints Row: The Third Finally Make Their Linux Debut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saints Row 2 & Saints Row: The Third Finally Make Their Linux Debut

Phoronix: Saints Row 2 & Saints Row: The Third Finally Make Their Linux Debut

Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third have been officially released today for Linux and SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very high requirements for games so old

Comment

very slow on radeonsi with all high or all low settings

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
        very slow on radeonsi with all high or all low settings

It may be due to compute shaders. I know the fourth does a fallback if you don't have compute shaders and runs like crap. One of the reasons I'm excited about compute shaders getting done.

Edit: The video uses a 7790 which is hardly a real GPU.
        Last edited by SaucyJack; 14 April 2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

It may be due to compute shaders. I know the fourth does a fallback if you don't have compute shaders and runs like crap. One of the reasons I'm excited about compute shaders getting done.
          Will compute shaders possibly improve FPS in many games, or just things that explicitly use them? I keep hearing about compute shaders but thought it was only relevant for OpenCL or something. Would it only be relevant to specific OpenGL versions?

Edit: Thanks for the replies!
          Last edited by Guest; 14 April 2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Will compute shaders possibly improve FPS in many games, or just things that explicitly use them? I keep hearing about compute shaders but thought it was only relevant for OpenCL or something.
            DX11 uses them (and therefore the games ported to linux from DX11), and yes it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Will compute shaders possibly improve FPS in many games, or just things that explicitly use them? I keep hearing about compute shaders but thought it was only relevant for OpenCL or something. Would it only be relevant to specific OpenGL versions?
              Compute shaders were added to DX11 and GL 4.3, and yes games have to use them in order for it to matter, but it's a very popular feature that most of the new games coming out now tend to use.

Also, it will only help performance if the game put in some kind of slower fallback for drivers without it. A lot of the games seem to simply require it - meaning you'll either get crashes or missing rendering/features if you don't have them, not worse performance.

Comment

Can't wait for the compute shader patches to reach lordheavy's Mesa-git on Arch, we got just 4.2 today on radeonsi, I'm going to have to try Saints Row 3 on 4.3, hopefully next week!

Comment

The SR4 port was not impressive at all, if we get the same quality in SR2/3 then I rather skip it.

Comment

4 was also a better game and the only one that didn't have a DX9 fallback mode (thus wouldn't work in Wine) so the port was much more significant; these are a little less necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X