Unreal Engine 4.11 Released With Better Performance & Greater Visuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    it will shorten your learning curve by a lot.
    I was more thinking about building the demo applications for linux with an up to date engine. So they could maybe even be tested with vulkan. Maybe. Right now the builds in the unreal wiki are severely outedated.

From a learning perspective I'm not touching unreal engine unless they actually start caring about their support for linux as a development platform:
    * Still no launcher, why?
    * Oculus Rift support back when oculus officially "supported" linux. Community devs wanted to mainline https://github.com/3dluvr/UnrealEngi.../4.7-linux-ovr and get proper support in 4.8, but it was completely ignored.
    * Recent comment from the same guy: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...ment-200823740

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
      I was more thinking about building the demo applications for linux with an up to date engine. So they could maybe even be tested with vulkan. Maybe. Right now the builds in the unreal wiki are severely outedated.

From a learning perspective I'm not touching unreal engine unless they actually start caring about their support for linux as a development platform:
      * Still no launcher, why?
      * Oculus Rift support back when oculus officially "supported" linux. Community devs wanted to mainline https://github.com/3dluvr/UnrealEngi.../4.7-linux-ovr and get proper support in 4.8, but it was completely ignored.
      * Recent comment from the same guy: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...ment-200823740
      it seems you have already decided then. why even asking the questions, was there some point you were making or have you actually expected any official answer on phoronix?

as far as my answers to your questions
      - don't need it or more like after 3 days on windows when i was wasting time on demos. I DON'T WANT IT! damn thing is half broken even on windows, not to mention constant annoying with updates where launcher has to be restarted. in 3 days i had 6 updates
      - couldn't care less, oculus is last thing on my mind. i'd probably ignore it even if was doing vr game. vive is so much more promising it makes oculus irrelevant
      - they might have a reason to hold back one month. like things on schedule where they work on connected facilities. even working PR can screw you there. it is not like open source does it better. i'm manually patching blender bvh import/export all last 3 or 4 versions even though there was a pull request for that long ago. and there is no timeline when at all. sometimes you just can't fit things and so i don't really care about that or the fact i manually patch each blender
      Last edited by justmy2cents; 01 April 2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I just wanted to know if there is a way to get the demo project files without the proprietary launcher as I'm not too much interested in learning the usage of their proprietary engine while they treat linux as a second class citizen, but I'm sure open to play around with it. I've built 4.7 I think a while ago and played a little bit, and then 4.8 I think, but then there was this issue with glibc and too few TLS slots (thread local storage I think?) in glibc and to use it you would have had to patch your glibc and recompile it... Then I kinda didn't pursue it...
        Just searched it: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...r-startup.html

I don't know if the Vive was even announced back then, but sure as hell you couldn't just get your hands on one to play around with it. You could buy the DK2 with official linux support though. And it's not so much about Oculus, it's about how Epic just showed zero action on it. Here is something I got back then:
        Epic has an employee designated for integrating community linux enhancements and I think the plan is to pull in the linux branch when they release 4.8 but it might also be based on when the launcher is complete (dependent on the CEF3 browser?). Once that's done a Windows developer should be able to export a Linux game with Oculus Rift support. That's my understanding after just a week of being semi-involved.
        And then I never heard about it again, especially nothing came from Epic and this person who was going to integrate it.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          I just wanted to know if there is a way to get the demo project files without the proprietary launcher as I'm not too much interested in learning the usage of their proprietary engine while they treat linux as a second class citizen, but I'm sure open to play around with it. I've built 4.7 I think a while ago and played a little bit, and then 4.8 I think, but then there was this issue with glibc and too few TLS slots (thread local storage I think?) in glibc and to use it you would have had to patch your glibc and recompile it... Then I kinda didn't pursue it...
          Just searched it: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...r-startup.html

I don't know if the Vive was even announced back then, but sure as hell you couldn't just get your hands on one to play around with it. You could buy the DK2 with official linux support though. And it's not so much about Oculus, it's about how Epic just showed zero action on it. Here is something I got back then:

And then I never heard about it again, especially nothing came from Epic and this person who was going to integrate it.
          why do you think i have 3 versions? even on windows situation is more or less the same as i see it on my friends. new unreal ships and breaks some functionality where you need to rely on old one until fixed. like this is so unheard of and never happens anywhere else. funny fact, 4.10 had problem importing certain fbx files where it just crashed on Windows. worked on Linux in same release with same fbx files and that problem never came up. i think this would be a reason for windows users to go to war if they followed your example of going against certain platform specific bugs.

also, for anyone who didn't just jump on Oculus based on promises, it was obvious their linux support is vaporware. also, it was Oculus that pulled Linux support with their statement they put it on fritz. and if i set my self in Epic position, i wouldn't support something that is based on legacy code that might or might not work
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 02 April 2016, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X