Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superhot: A Linux Review

Phoronix: SUPERHOT: A Linux Review

Almost two weeks ago the Superhot Team put out their independently developed, Kickstarter-funded, 3D FPS. What began as an online demo grew into a full game, albeit a short one, thanks to Kickstarter, and publisher IMGN.PRO...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Due to the title I was expecting some linux specific content.

How does the game run on linux? Any quirks? What drivers / hardware requirements, etc?

Comment

I feel that this post would feel much more at home over there: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
        How does the game run on linux? Any quirks? What drivers / hardware requirements, etc?
        Runs flawlessly on a NVidia GeForce 660 GT (with an AMD FX8350 CPU). No apparent unexpected glitches (given that the game actually has glitches as part of its story mode...) .

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
          Due to the title I was expecting some linux specific content.

Fedora 23 Workstation x64, same as all my reviews / testing. No issues to report, else I would've mentioned it
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Fedora 23 Workstation x64, same as all my reviews / testing. No issues to report, else I would've mentioned it
            What a nice and detailed reply....

Dude 1: What hardware and software setup do you have?
            Dude 2: The same as usual.

Coming next in the series:

Dude 1: ...?

And the excitement starts to build as we reach the brutal climax! (of an actual reply...)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              What a nice and detailed reply....

Dude 1: What hardware and software setup do you have?
              Dude 2: The same as usual.

Coming next in the series:

Dude 1: ...?

And the excitement starts to build as we reach the brutal climax! (of an actual reply...)
              I was on mobile, at work. Now that I'm home:

Code:
              Distro: Fedora 23 Workstation x64, all updates applied as of Feb 29, 2016-- and retested today with new updates.

Version of Game: SUPERHOT 2.2.0.3

[egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $ uname -r
              4.4.3-300.fc23.x86_64

[egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $ sudo dnf info mesa-dri-drivers
              Installed Packages
              Name        : mesa-dri-drivers
              Arch        : i686
              Epoch       : 0
              Version     : 11.1.0
              Release     : 2.20151218.fc23
              Size        : 32 M
              Repo        : @System
              From repo   : updates
              Summary     : Mesa-based DRI drivers
              URL         : http://www.mesa3d.org
              License     : MIT
              Description : Mesa-based DRI drivers.

[egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $ sudo glxinfo
              [...]
              OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
              OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.1.0 (git-525f3c2)
              OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
              OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
              OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
              CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k, stock frequency.
              RAM: 16GB of DDR4 2133mhz
              HDD: 7200rpm HGST Deskstar

All updates

Comment

• Key remapping doesn't work (according to the forums it doesn't seem to work on any OS),
                • the Kickstarter campain advertised "Time only moved when you move", now in the main game time moves slowly - IMHO quite a difference.
                • On Linux Killstagram is not yet implemented
                • Generally the game (still) seems to be quite buggy

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
                  • Key remapping doesn't work (according to the forums it doesn't seem to work on any OS),
                  • the Kickstarter campain advertised "Time only moved when you move", now in the main game time moves slowly - IMHO quite a difference.
                  • On Linux Killstagram is not yet implemented
                  • Generally the game (still) seems to be quite buggy

As far as the game time goes... It might as well not be moving. Enemies don't seem to be moving at all unless you stare at them for several seconds; the only reason I know that does not in fact stop completely is because you can see the bullets still flying through the air, albeit at Matrix speed. I would not consider it to be a major difference between whatever was advertised on kickstarter-- which you should know will probably change before release.

I was able to complete the entire campaign without hitting any obvious bugs or abnormalities, obviously YMMV.

Comment

kickstarter for such? Should be done in only some hours with Unreal.

Comment

Working...
                    X