Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xeekei
    replied
    Epic could get behind Linux. The more big game companies that do, the faster it will be a great gaming platform. I long for the day when Blizzard gets angry with MS.

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Btw, MS tried coming into the game industry with XNA. XNA is discontinued now.
    Last edited by Hi-Angel; 04 March 2016, 11:23 AM. Reason: A link to a comm. wiki post on SO — perhaps anybody would want to add something

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    For those that want to get more detail, Tim Sweeney has been interviewed about this in the new Polygon podcast:

We sit down with Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney to discuss his concerns about Windows 10 becoming a walled garden that could essentially cut competing online stores like Good Old Games, Origin, Battle

Leave a comment:

• drohm
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post

Good luck actually managing to get users on SteamOS to do that, though. You would have to somehow get your game into Steam even if it isn't downloaded / installed in Steam (which is not that hard, Steam lets you make applinks inside it). I'm not sure if SteamOS even has a graphical APT tool so they can give you deb packages as downloads.

Not sure I understand what you're saying. To install games on linux via the Steam client, I do it exactly the same way I do on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    MS follows Apple style like they did with the Win8 GUI. I never understood those Mac freaks anyway.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Such nonsense. I realize that MS has a new browser now, but didn't IE teach them anything? Yes people still use it, but almost everyone know exactly how bad it sucks. If MS is trying to hurt their name, then this is exactly the way to do it. The thing is, MS already knows how valuable "buy once, run anywhere" can be. It's the reason MP3 and h264 became popular media formats. MS really does try to screw everyone even if it's at their own expense and even if they know nobody will come out ahead.
    Last edited by duby229; 04 March 2016, 11:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by GuercH View Post

It's a problem of control, to publish on microsoft platform you need to follow the rules, so if you want your game on XBOX you need to sign up for this, you will get pc access as a bonus, they want this, they want this bad! that's why they want to de-emphasize charging for windows, so windows becomes even more ubiquitous as a platform, and only if you control the platform you can charge money for it. Valve understands the danger here, i sure hope blizzard and others understand this too.
    Yes, xbox games will be terribly performing metro programs on a console that isn't even that popular. They might have a similarly low quality windows counterpart in the closed store bought by 2 or 3 people. It won't change anything. Developers won't abandon the PS4 and traditional PC platform just to have one unpopular version of their game. See Tomb Raider, it has a metro and a traditional version as well, and of course PS4 too.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    This kind of news make me dream badly at night. . . honestly

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    is obviously free for any publisher to distribute their games on.
    Good luck actually managing to get users on SteamOS to do that, though. You would have to somehow get your game into Steam even if it isn't downloaded / installed in Steam (which is not that hard, Steam lets you make applinks inside it). I'm not sure if SteamOS even has a graphical APT tool so they can give you deb packages as downloads.

Leave a comment:

• remm
    replied
    It's obvious the MS of old is now back with a vengeance.

We can only ack that Valve's strategy was correct all along, it used the time it had on hand up to this day to create a real ecosystem. If they hadn't done that, it would be too late now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X