An Open-Source Doom 3 Engine Is Looking To Implement Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open-Source Doom 3 Engine Is Looking To Implement Vulkan Support

Phoronix: An Open-Source Doom 3 Engine Is Looking To Implement Vulkan Support

While the open-source Doom 3 community hasn't been too vibrant since id Tech had open-sourced the Doom 3 code (id Tech 4) back in 2011, one of the more vibrant open-source D3 projects is looking at adding Vulkan renderer support to the engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice, maybe Id will add the Linux support on Steam......Nah

Comment

Screw doom 3. We want RAGE engine on linux with vulkan. I bet it will run 2x faster with a good set of drivers!

Comment

Who the hell wants to benchmark using 11 (!) years old engine which is only capable of rendering closed environments?

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
          Screw doom 3. We want RAGE engine on linux with vulkan. I bet it will run 2x faster with a good set of drivers!
          I liked the game, you can play it with wine. It won't run 2x faster because it has an adaptive loading technology for texture loading that keeps the fps at 60. You can only tast how good your pc is at unpacking/decompressing the textures, unfortunatly it's accelerated only with cuda, so Intel and Amd harware do have bad performance, also true on Windows.

Comment

This is cool news, more vulkan code samples to look at!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Who the hell wants to benchmark using 11 (!) years old engine which is only capable of rendering closed environments?
              It's not a 11years old engine.
              Doom 3 BFG has many parts of Rage and is quite modern.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                Rage got a lot of criticism, much of it justified. But hell, I had a heck of a lot of fun with that game. After I finished it I made the mistake of playing Halo Reach right after, the mechanics were like night and day. Rage is silky smooth, and had movement that just felt right. Going back to Halo afterwards (which I had been a fan of) felt like playing in quicksand.

The end of Rage was awful though.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Doom 3 BFG is not 11 old. While it looks very similar to 2004 Doom 3, the engine is completely changed under the hood.

Comment

Nice to see.. And as far as Rage goes, I'd love to see it ported to Linux. Played it back when I was gaming on Windows and it was one of the last FPS' I enjoyed n completed. Unfortunately the guy who did all the Linux ports left id software around the time the game was made and Carmack had become quite negative about Linux gaming... They've both left now, so I don't see native Linux support coming back to id games any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X