Insurgency Standstorm Is A UE4-Powered Linux Game Coming Out Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Not quite irrelevant. Just because UE4 supports Linux doesn't put every UE4 game on Linux, just because it supports OpenGL doesn't make every UE4 game OpenGL compatible.

Tell me, does this look like it supports OpenGL or Linux? http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060/
    Please excuse my ignorance, but isn't Vulkan the next generation OpenGL? Is it incorrect to say Vulkan is equivalent to OpenGL? And vice-versa? To be more specific, can a game support both Vulkan and OpenGL? I just want to get the terminology correct, not trying to nit-pick at all.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post

Please excuse my ignorance, but isn't Vulkan the next generation OpenGL? Is it incorrect to say Vulkan is equivalent to OpenGL? And vice-versa? To be more specific, can a game support both Vulkan and OpenGL? I just want to get the terminology correct, not trying to nit-pick at all.
      OpenGL and Vulkan have some overlapping use cases but they're not identical and going into the future Khronos plans to have more OpenGL and Vulkan revisions. A game can support both Vulkan and OpenGL and there are even people looking into providing OpenGL support through Vulkan with another abstraction layer.

OpenGL is less explicit and requires less coding from the developers and more coding from the hardware driver vendors.
      Vulkan is more explicit and requires more coding from the developers but less coding from the hardware driver vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
        OpenGL and Vulkan have some overlapping use cases but they're not identical and going into the future Khronos plans to have more OpenGL and Vulkan revisions. A game can support both Vulkan and OpenGL and there are even people looking into providing OpenGL support through Vulkan with another abstraction layer.

OpenGL is less explicit and requires less coding from the developers and more coding from the hardware driver vendors.
        Vulkan is more explicit and requires more coding from the developers but less coding from the hardware driver vendors.

Thanks kenjitamura. Isn't another advantage of Vulkan (probably one of the biggest) is that it's OS agnostic?

Comment

Thanks kenjitamura. Isn't another advantage of Vulkan (probably one of the biggest) is that it's OS agnostic?
          Well, so was OpenGL.

Comment

Just my opinion. I think its biggest advantage is that Vulkan is designed closer to how modern GPU's actually work. Back in the "olden" days GPU's were fixed function accelerators. OpenGL is designed for that type of hardware. Modern GPU's are highly parallel Scalar processors. That is the reason why OpenGL requires more effort from the driver developers. And why Vulkan allows game engine developers to implement functionality instead of the driver developers.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Tell me, does this look like it supports OpenGL or Linux? http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060/
              http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/al...k-illumination

Comment

Working...
              X