No announcement yet.

Steam Client Beta Brings NVIDIA NVENC Encoding, Steam Controller Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Client Beta Brings NVIDIA NVENC Encoding, Steam Controller Improvements

Phoronix: Steam Client Beta Brings NVIDIA NVENC Encoding, Steam Controller Improvements

Valve released a rather interesting Steam client beta update yesterday with a number of improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Beta-9Feb-2016

Hopefully VCE and QuickSync will also be supported.

Comment

Hmm does it use NvFBCOpenGL? I know it is a private api but at least on windows side steam uses NvFBC with nvenc.

Comment

And the video capture interface is still not exposed for users...

Comment

It would be great if VALVE helped push patches in their video capture and encoding code to FFMPEG. The nvenc code is a little lacking.

Comment

I was really impressed with the speed I got encoding to x265 using ffmpeg using nvenc, getting something like 100fps. Agreed though, compared to my cpu (which does about 2.5fps) it was lacking, but not as much as I thought it would. I'd say it's definitely good enough for streaming games.

Comment

Originally posted by zimano View Post
              I was really impressed with the speed I got encoding to x265 using ffmpeg using nvenc, getting something like 100fps. Agreed though, compared to my cpu (which does about 2.5fps) it was lacking, but not as much as I thought it would. I'd say it's definitely good enough for streaming games.
              Did anyone managed to make NVENC work with Steam for streaming?
              If so may I ask your proc / gc?
              I read that installing CUDA was needed, is it the case?

Valve put the checkbox a few month ago without having the support, so I tried for hours without any result lol

I really hope I can play on my TV without "Slow encode" in most games

Comment

Working...
              X