No announcement yet.

Review of XCOM 2 On Linux; Welcome Back, Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it work with an controller/gamepad?
    For me it didn't work in xcom EU and EW.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Does it work with an controller/gamepad?
      For me it didn't work in xcom EU and EW.
      Explicit controller support is limited to the Steam Controller. You might be able to get the PS4 controller to work, since its just a HID device, but the xbox360 / xbox one controller is likely out, since (AFAIK) it doesnt show up as a standard HID device.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Explicit controller support is limited to the Steam Controller. You might be able to get the PS4 controller to work, since its just a HID device, but the xbox360 / xbox one controller is likely out, since (AFAIK) it doesnt show up as a standard HID device.
        XBox360 controller under Linux is handled as joystick-class device with axes and buttons, not HID device.

Comment

Well the xpad driver shows the controller via xinput and as joystick device. I don't know what I miss with Debian Jessie but with Wheezy I could even use a Nyko Playpad Pro (Bluetooth) for DIRT Showdown or Steam Big Picture. Basically all games would work which do not need the back or XBox key, those do nothing with it (Metro series seems to use those). If you are able to configure your pad for Big Picture mode it should work fine for any game launched. XBox 360 USB controllers just work, even with FireTV gen 1 (did not get Fire OS 5 yet).

Comment

My controller is setup with big picture mode and works in the games that i tested accept for xcom EU and EW.
            THe thing is that xcom says that it has controller support but it never really worked accept for the pop-up meny when you select EU or EW for that the controller works.
            My controller is also in controllermapping.txt in xcom game directory but the game doesn't seem to work with an controller so i like to see it as an game issue for xcom.
            That's why i want to know if an controller works with xcom 2 since xcom doesn't seem to have any working control support.
            Xcom claims to have controller support but it doesn't work.
            Last edited by Nille_kungen; 10 February 2016, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vorador View Post
              since when it is normal for a new game to launch broken and fix it along the way?
              Sadly, very sadly, this seems to be "normal" today. Of course, there is more complexity in certain parts (often GFX only, not gameplay) and that may cause more issues, but then, compare the budgets today with the past. Some really old games just worked, and barely ever needed a patch. Today you're supposed to wait for about a year and download 10 GB of data inbetween until things become reasonably playable in most cases.

More on topic:
              Also German heise.de (one of the more serious computer news people) wrote that the game is quite fun on Windows but definitely not on Linux or Mac, regardless of your system's setup; especially in terms of performance resulting in really low framerates.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                My controller is setup with big picture mode and works in the games that i tested accept for xcom EU and EW.
                THe thing is that xcom says that it has controller support but it never really worked accept for the pop-up meny when you select EU or EW for that the controller works.
                My controller is also in controllermapping.txt in xcom game directory but the game doesn't seem to work with an controller so i like to see it as an game issue for xcom.
                That's why i want to know if an controller works with xcom 2 since xcom doesn't seem to have any working control support.
                Xcom claims to have controller support but it doesn't work.
                Stupdi question, but for XCOM:EW wasn't there an ingame option you had to set to enable controller support? Regardless of that: XCOM 2 only officially supports the Steam Controller. I said you MIGHT be able to get the PS4 controller working because on the back end it just comes up as a human interface device (HID), unlike the Xbox controllers that appear as joysticks. I say that you might get it to work only because the Steam controller also appears as a HID.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Stupdi question, but for XCOM:EW wasn't there an ingame option you had to set to enable controller support? Regardless of that: XCOM 2 only officially supports the Steam Controller. I said you MIGHT be able to get the PS4 controller working because on the back end it just comes up as a human interface device (HID), unlike the Xbox controllers that appear as joysticks. I say that you might get it to work only because the Steam controller also appears as a HID.
                  Most games need you to choose the gamepad in game but it doesn't work in xcom.

I'm not the only one having problems with gamepad if you look at the discussions in steam.
                  I read that some has problems with the steam controller in xcom2.

Comment

hmm ... now all it needs is a sale on steam :-)

anybody on R600g ? I bought GRID Autosport (another Feral port) and am going to try that one out on R600g (have only a 5830).

for controller support: perfonally I tried xpad, xboxdrv and other stuff and the support is not uniform in Steam games. That a controller works in Big Picture does not mean anything and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                    X