Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of XCOM 2 On Linux; Welcome Back, Commander

Phoronix: Review of XCOM 2 On Linux; Welcome Back, Commander

Coming three and a half years after the release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (EU), and two and a half years after the release of Enemy Within (EW), Firaxis welcomes back The Commanders of the world with a bit of a slap in the face: you lost the war.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The game is quite slow with my desktop that has:
    -Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz running 4.4.1-1-ARCH kernel and 16G RAM
    -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 driven by 361.18 nvidia binary driver
    -ASUS MG279Q display resolution 2560x1440 <- I may be pushing the resolution a bit I admit.

Still, I would dare to assume better performance...

Comment

The article says: "Coming three and a half years after the release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (EU) ..."

... it also comes 23 years after X-COM: UFO Defense (http://store.steampowered.com/app/7760/)

Comment

Originally posted by jpalko View Post
        The game is quite slow with my desktop that has:
        -Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz running 4.4.1-1-ARCH kernel and 16G RAM
        -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 driven by 361.18 nvidia binary driver
        -ASUS MG279Q display resolution 2560x1440 <- I may be pushing the resolution a bit I admit.

Still, I would dare to assume better performance...
        There seems to be a performance regression with the 361 drivers: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...n-with-361-18/

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
          The article says: "Coming three and a half years after the release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (EU) ..."

... it also comes 23 years after X-COM: UFO Defense (http://store.steampowered.com/app/7760/)
          Damn, I'm old.
          About rendering issues: you see whether there's a performance hit when raising details on nvidia cards and if there is, try to compare screenshots between nvidia, amd and/or intel at various settings.

Comment

Originally posted by xylef View Post

There seems to be a performance regression with the 361 drivers: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...n-with-361-18/
            Nice, thanks for the info and at least they passed the issue onwards. Perhaps we'll see something in the next release. For now I still updated my driver to the newest stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by xylef View Post

Damn, that sucks. The older ones don't support the rest of my Xorg setup on Arch so I can't easily downgrade. Good to know there's hope for a future driver though.

Comment

The animations are... a little buggy at times, but since this game hasn't even had a first patch yet, I'm not holding that against it too much.

since when it is normal for a new game to launch broken and fix it along the way?

they postponed the launch 3 months...and it still is in bad shape....i wonder how bad was it is november

anyway, these tweaks really changed how the game works on my pc:
                Experiencing performance issues or stuttering in Feral's excellent port of XCOM 2? These engine tweaks might be just what you're looking for.

Comment

It is also quite slow here even on medium settings with nvidia-drivers-358.16:

CPU: Core i7-4790K
                  GPU: GeForce GTX 970
                  RAM: 32 GiB
                  Resolution: 2x 2560x1440 (only one monitor used for the game)

Comment

Originally posted by vorador View Post

since when it is normal for a new game to launch broken and fix it along the way?

they postponed the launch 3 months...and it still is in bad shape....i wonder how bad was it is november

anyway, these tweaks really changed how the game works on my pc:
                    https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...in-xcom-2.6627
                    XCOM:EW had buggy animations for its entire life. There's a lot of action going on, a lot of animations that depend on eachother, and a lot of pieces of the game fighting for "No, I take priority for being displayed." That being said, XCOM 2 is in far better shape, at launch, than XCOM:EW is -today- when it comes to animations. BUT, you do see some that obviously didn't get handled right. Like when a Muton melee attacks your guy's left side, and he's meant to dodge towards the right, but the game does the 'dodge left' animation, thus making it appear that the muton cleaved him in half, despite the "MISS" text coming up. Thankfully the game is turn based, so the animations bugging out are not game breaking AT ALL.

Honestly my single biggest complaint with this game, and its not in the review because I discovered it after I had sent it off to Michael, is how slow the multiplayer is. It seems like the game processes a list of commands on client1, figures out the results, displays them on client1, then sends the list of commands to client2, who does the same... but several seconds later. So client1 will be reacting to things in voice chat long before client2 even sees them happen. I'm HOPING that this can be fixed, but we shall see.
                    Last edited by Ericg; 09 February 2016, 06:04 PM.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X