Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst Appears To Work With XCOM 2 On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst Appears To Work With XCOM 2 On Linux

Not only does RadeonSI Gallium3D work with XCOM 2 on Linux for AMD graphics processors, but it looks like the Catalyst (or now known as Radeon Software, officially) too works with this brand new, highly anticipated strategy game seeing a same-day release across OS X / Linux / Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for all your hard work! This news made my day.

Comment

If anyone has requests let me know. I've got class / work till tomorrow evening, so I won't be playing until tomorrow night or saturday. I will be replying back tot his thread with a basic "Does it run on stock Fedora?" at 00:01am tonight.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Can't be, I mean everyone was saying that Feral and NVIDIA are in cahoots to make the game playable only on NVIDIA hardware.

And btw, game crashes on 361 drivers because game calls GL function without context, this is an undefined behavior and driver simply being strict by crashing there. But it says a lot about Catalyst, where everyone claims it following spec.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          And btw, game crashes on 361 drivers because game calls GL function without context, this is an undefined behavior and driver simply being strict by crashing there. But it says a lot about Catalyst, where everyone claims it following spec.
          Well, as you said : undefined behaviour. The spec doesn't say what to do. Crashing is one way, validating the input and ignoring wrong input is the other.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Well, as you said : undefined behaviour. The spec doesn't say what to do. Crashing is one way, validating the input and ignoring wrong input is the other.
            ... another way would be to send the stacktrace to developers via e-mail, if the person playing the game agrees to do so by confirming a popup window.

Clarification: The OpenGL driver should be sending the e-mail.
            Last edited by Guest; 05 February 2016, 07:52 AM. Reason: Clarify meaning

Comment

"Clarification: The OpenGL driver should be sending the e-mail."

Yes, I really want a copy of SendMail included in my OpenGL drivers.

Comment

Well, my personal opinion is that undefined behavior should cause the game to stop and drop to a terminal emulator with debug info. No fucking silent CTD, that's some bullshit that should never happen. At least give me something I can copy and paste into a bug report.

EDIT: I hate to say it like this, but I'm learning that it is true, all these new linux ports are only doing one thing. They are proving how bad game companies try to screw you. I read an blog post yesterday from an nVidia employee where he essentially said that if nVidia's driver didn't deal with undefined behavior on a game by game basis then linux gaming, in his opinion, would simply not be possible.

Maybe that's true. Maybe native ports are not the ultimate answer.... They are proving beyond any doubt that they aren't doing it right.... Gallium Nine is performing better than a lot the native ports right now. Perhaps game companies should be using gallium and wine like a wrapper. I think it makes better sense. I don't think there is anything that would prevent them from distributing the wrapper for their games.
                Last edited by duby229; 05 February 2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  Yes, I really want a copy of SendMail included in my OpenGL drivers.
                  Plus another copy installed with each game in case the version in the drivers is different from what the game is expecting
                  Test signature

Comment

I was surprised by the fact that the models in the screenshot show no real-time shadows on the ground. Is that really correct? I never thought I'd see a game in 2016 where the characters seem to float in mid air. I thought this was a rendering error in the Gallium test, but if it's the same on Catalyst I guess this is really the way it's supposed to be...

Comment

Working...
                    X