Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here Is What Happens When Trying To Use Non-NVIDIA Drivers To Play XCOM 2 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
    This is a documented issue with Nvidia 361 and Aspyr ports: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...inux-version-/
    From that bug report: " Civilization5 (and presumably KOTOR2 as well) calls glGetInteger in a thread where no context is (or was ever) made current. This is undefined behavior and therefore an application bug." - if a similar problem is present in the XCOM 2 port, then no wonder it may crash.

Comment

Originally posted by rewik View Post
      From that bug report: " Civilization5 (and presumably KOTOR2 as well) calls glGetInteger in a thread where no context is (or was ever) made current. This is undefined behavior and therefore an application bug." - if a similar problem is present in the XCOM 2 port, then no wonder it may crash.
      Just for the record, NVidia has fixed that and the next 361 beta should no longer have the problem when it's released.

Assuming it's all the same issue, of course.

Comment

WTF? It looks like Feral uses OpenGL ES calls in this game (why they use OGL ES Vertex Array Object extension, when VAO is in OpenGL Core since 3.0)... It looks like this game doesn't use OpenGL, but "NvidiaGL -> OpenGL with a lot of hacks availables only on NV drivers". For me this is a proof that Feral's D3D to OGL wrapper is really bad and I'll don't buy their games until they fix that.

And another one, if a program just crash instead of a proper exit with dialog message etc. eg. when some OGL feature is unavailable it indicates very bad about their developers and/or QA.
        Last edited by nadro; 04 February 2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

So, Michael did not even test the most probable drivers that could handle this game aside from nivdia's propiertary driver, which would be fglrx or the radeon driver but continues to say that 'nothing but Nvidia's propiertary driver will handle this'.

Nice FUD there Michael. Tell me, how much are you getting from Nvidia for these articles?

He tested a driver that is in it's baby shoes right now (AMDGPU) combined with unstable components (MESA Git, seriously? How can you even be surprised that that crashes?). What a shitty article.

For the record: The last game Feral ported and wrote that 'Nothing but NVIDIA would work on' was Codemasters: Autosport. The game worked fine with AMD's fglrx driver from the start. Never had problems with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            So, Michael did not even test the most probable drivers that could handle this game aside from nivdia's propiertary driver, which would be fglrx or the radeon driver but continues to say that 'nothing but Nvidia's propiertary driver will handle this'.
            What are you talking about? The Radeon driver was where most of the tests happened.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Just for the record, NVidia has fixed that and the next 361 beta should no longer have the problem when it's released.

Assuming it's all the same issue, of course.

I own an nvidia card and i really love their drivers. But bringing in a fix for an application issue just to make it work again will sadly lower the pressure for aspyr to fix their broken apps .
              So i would prefer to not get it fixed by allowing even more "non standard" behaviour in their driver.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                WTF? It looks like Feral uses OpenGL ES calls in this game
                Not overly shocked since OpenGL ES is a somewhat simplified version of the standard that has a higher likelihood of being supported by more hardware. For example, modern versions of KDE often default to OpenGL ES for desktop acceleration.

You also fail to provide any evidence of your accusation that Feral is intentionally trying to sabotage everyone else and only support Nvidia. Hate to break it to you but OpenGL ES sure isn't some proprietary Nvidia thing..

Comment

Yeah. You guys are really the worst sometimes. OpenGL is an old, messy-as-heck standard and OpenGL ES is a sane way of coding against it without losing your mind. Also, Mesa git is much, much better-maintaned than fglrx, I think this is common knowledge; after Nvidia binary it's the only Linux driver stack that's really up to date; I'm virtually certain that the only reason Mesa git isn't working is because of extensions that aren't supported yet. Stop complaining!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

What are you talking about? The Radeon driver was where most of the tests happened.
                    I think that some people around here don't want to actually see any test results Michael. I think they just want a wall of text rant about how AMD GOOD and everyone else BAD.

There are plenty of other websites out there that cater to their needs.

Comment

Was just told by Feral just now that Radeon and Intel Mesa should actually work... But it might be my kernel or Mesa revision the problem.... Trying to investigate now with some other configurations.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X