No announcement yet.

9 Months And Still No UT3 Linux Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had various bits and pieces go into the tree over the years. I also have commit access to java-overlay. I think the reason they are reluctant to commit my Unreal stuff is because it relies on a totally new UT ebuild that I also wrote. It's a real monster but it fixes a lot of issues like the different versions (original, GOTY, Anthology), patching, different languages, and getting a clean copy from a Windows installation. I plan to commit it to Sunrise and coordinate a test on the forums but I haven't got round to it yet.

Comment

This reminds me of the linux development of Neverwinter Nights by Bioware. It was also promised as "a true cross-platform game" with Mac & Linux releases close to the Windows release. Right. NWN for linux was one year late, because apparently "cross-platform" means something different for established Windows developers. The trouble with NWN was the use of proprietary Windows-only codecs...

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
        This reminds me of the linux development of Neverwinter Nights by Bioware. It was also promised as "a true cross-platform game" with Mac & Linux releases close to the Windows release. Right. NWN for linux was one year late, because apparently "cross-platform" means something different for established Windows developers. The trouble with NWN was the use of proprietary Windows-only codecs...
        No... The "Windows-only" codecs weren't windows-only, RAD had stuff in beta at the time for Linux for Bink, but they couldn't get the silly stuff available quickly and they had a few issues grokking SDL initially. By the time they got it all straightened out and RAD had Bink ready, the window for it to be useful to spend the extra $5K to license Bink for Linux had passed so they didn't bother.

However, your points are right- most players in the industry don't think in terms of everything needing to be cross-platform for them to claim that title. To Bioware, before NWN, it meant the engine itself was mostly portable. Which was the case, really. To be honest, there wasn't much of a reason why KOTOR couldn't have been a Linux version as well, other than the bad taste they got with NWN and LucasArts not wanting it.
        Last edited by Svartalf; 20 August 2008, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Even though I withdrew my pre-order of UT3, as soon as it is released for Linux, I'll buy it (and if it is a true Linux-only release for sale in TuxGames, I'll pick that up). At any rate, I want the money to speak for the Linux version and not the Windows version.

I remember back when Bioware were working on the Linux client for NWN, and when it was finally released. Even (due to the circumstances explained by Svartalf) if the game didn't have the movies, it was an amazing game, and one that provided me and many friends with endless hours of gaming. At some point I think that the Linux community of NWN was much bigger than the Windows and Mac communities, and I know that many Linux gamers still play it.

Comment

...so dear Phoronix staff, can i please be the one to make the "1 year and still no ut3 linux client" thread??

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              ...so dear Phoronix staff, can i please be the one to make the "1 year and still no ut3 linux client" thread??
              No! You still have 3 months to go, but you bet you can create it on 12:00 am Nov. 19, though

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                No! You still have 3 months to go, but you bet you can create it on 12:00 am Nov. 19, though
                He could make it now. It wouldn't make any difference in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Erm... you get things into the tree? Didn't manage this so far. Had to put my stuff in the Sunrise overlay ( pigs! )
                  I guess I should be lucky my BasiliskII-jit ebuild went into the main tree then. (That reminds me, I still have to test amd64.) Of course, it was broken and wouldn't compile when it was stable anyway.

The reason we play NWN still is that NWN2 is now Windows only. That and the obscenely large collection of mods and campaigns...

Comment

So...

Would anyone from Epic like to comment on this?.. a year has passed now.

WarTourist?

Comment

Originally posted by TOGGI3 View Post
                      Would anyone from Epic like to comment on this?.. a year has passed now.

WarTourist?
                      Did you miss the 1 year thread? http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13942

WarTourist is no longer with Epic.

Comment

Working...
                      X