Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Interested Are You In XCOM 2 For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested, what I really want to know is what's "not supported" really means in this case, will it run on amd hw or not, after all?

Comment

I'm pleased with UFO:AI very nice graphics and gameplay in git.
      No need for some fake wine ports on a restrictive distribution platform.

Comment

Might have all of the Mesa/Gallium3D details within an hour via early access
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
          Not until reports on radeonsi are good. I am starting to hate Feral for their ports that only work properly on Nvidia. XCOM1 otoh works perfetctly ...
          Well, I'll be testing it out on an R9 290 with RadeonSI, so just wait for mine or Michael's article It probably won't be until saturday or sunday though, due to the fact I have class on friday until 4pm / 1600
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Might have all of the Mesa/Gallium3D details within an hour via early access
            Ooooooh, see, now you're just teasing me / us.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Pre-ordered, pre-loading and can't wait to play it. I plan to send emails to firaxis, 2K, and feral to thank them for the linux version at *release*!

I encourage anyone who cares about linux gaming: this is the moment to put your money where your mouth is. It doesn't get any better than this: an AAA game with linux version at launch. We're not talking about vague promises of a linux version down the road. We're talking a game that we can play on equal footing with the windows crowd. So, if you're serious, *buy* the game now and play it under linux to send a message. Don't equivocate about drivers, about the genre, about this and that and everything else. When you beg for a favor and a huge publisher like 2K listens and delivers, you show appreciation and buy it, as you implied you would when you asked for it. I bought a bunch of games I knew I did not like and would not play when Valve publicly announced linux support just so that I send them a message -- we wanted you to take us seriously and now that you did, here's my money.

I am mad at the constant news on this site that steam linux share is steadily shrinking. And then I read this thread about people who are wringing their hands and grasping at excuses to renege on their duty to linux gaming.

And one more rant. About AMD video cards. You guys have no rights to complain about the sorry state of linux gaming on AMD. Everyone under the sun has known for the last 15 years to stay away from AMD video cards if you want decent performance under linux. You know how little AMD and ATI before that has done for the quality of their linux drivers and you kept buying their hardware and then had the gall to blame game developers/porters for not supporting the hardware that the OEM did not care to support in the first place? Seriously? Blame AMD. not Feral for not supporting your hardware that you knew was poorly supported when you bought it. Your mistake. Deal with it, but don't whine and complain now. I have always bought nvidia hardware and have had good performance. I am not happy with the binary drivers, but I am a pragmatist and a realist.

Sorry for the harsh words. Have fun playing XCom2!

Comment

Originally posted by chepati View Post
                Pre-ordered, pre-loading and can't wait to play it. I plan to send emails to firaxis, 2K, and feral to thank them for the linux version at *release*!

I encourage anyone who cares about linux gaming: this is the moment to put your money where your mouth is. It doesn't get any better than this: an AAA game with linux version at launch. We're not talking about vague promises of a linux version down the road. We're talking a game that we can play on equal footing with the windows crowd. So, if you're serious, *buy* the game now and play it under linux to send a message. Don't equivocate about drivers, about the genre, about this and that and everything else. When you beg for a favor and a huge publisher like 2K listens and delivers, you show appreciation and buy it, as you implied you would when you asked for it. I bought a bunch of games I knew I did not like and would not play when Valve publicly announced linux support just so that I send them a message -- we wanted you to take us seriously and now that you did, here's my money.

I am mad at the constant news on this site that steam linux share is steadily shrinking. And then I read this thread about people who are wringing their hands and grasping at excuses to renege on their duty to linux gaming.

And one more rant. About AMD video cards. You guys have no rights to complain about the sorry state of linux gaming on AMD. Everyone under the sun has known for the last 15 years to stay away from AMD video cards if you want decent performance under linux. You know how little AMD and ATI before that has done for the quality of their linux drivers and you kept buying their hardware and then had the gall to blame game developers/porters for not supporting the hardware that the OEM did not care to support in the first place? Seriously? Blame AMD. not Feral for not supporting your hardware that you knew was poorly supported when you bought it. Your mistake. Deal with it, but don't whine and complain now. I have always bought nvidia hardware and have had good performance. I am not happy with the binary drivers, but I am a pragmatist and a realist.

Sorry for the harsh words. Have fun playing XCom2!
                Reading tis I realize you are right, will buy at launch does anyone know if feral gets money from official steam resellers as long as I play on linux during the first week like they do on steam?

Comment

Pre-ordered and excited for the game! Cant wait to play it.

That said, benchmarks can wait a day or two.

Comment

Here Is What Happens When Trying To Use Non-NVIDIA Drivers To Play XCOM 2 On Linux - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22785
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

According to one of my friends, I'm committing a mortal sin by not playing any of the XCOM games.

I heard they were pure heat though. Might check them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X