Batman: Arkham Knight Gets Canceled For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post
    You made claim first, without having evidence. I refuted it. It's up to you make a proof, and you wont be able to. proofof my theory: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+steam+counts+linux+sales.
    Did you actually read that because literally the first link says that the final sale platform is determined by what platform you actually play the game on and before that it's what platform you were running when you made the purchase.

In other words: If you buy the game on Linux, the sale will register as a Linux sale even if there isn't Windows version available. The only way to then get it to register as a Windows sale is by actually downloading and playing it on Windows.

So I guess I should thank you for sort of proving my point...

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Did you actually read that because literally the first link says that the final sale platform is determined by what platform you actually play the game on and before that it's what platform you were running when you made the purchase.

In other words: If you buy the game on Linux, the sale will register as a Linux sale even if there isn't Windows version available. The only way to then get it to register as a Windows sale is by actually downloading and playing it on Windows.

So I guess I should thank you for sort of proving my point...
      what article doesn't mention, if the sale is considered other platform sale, if that platform is not supported. Again, depending on configuration and where you actually bought game - it may not be understood by valve, if game was bought on Linux.

From interviews of porters(Aspyre i think), they said, game that was purchased from windows, and later ported by them, you get free port, but they don't get a penny from sale.
      So simple, previous sale != port sale. Porters wont get penny, since their sales only count after their ported game.

Comment

what article doesn't mention, if the sale is considered other platform sale, if that platform is not supported. Again, depending on configuration and where you actually bought game - it may not be understood by valve, if game was bought on Linux.

From interviews of porters(Aspyre i think), they said, game that was purchased from windows, and later ported by them, you get free port, but they don't get a penny from sale.
        So simple, previous sale != port sale. Porters wont get penny, since their sales only count after their ported game.
        [Citation Needed]

So as I said, the article says that Steam logs what platform you're running when you purchase a game and I really don't see why a pre-order made on Linux would be logged as a Windows sale when there's an officially promised Linux port in the works and mentioned on the Steam store page for the game.

But yeah, have your little rage moment over me pre-ordering a game when there was a Linux port promised and being developed and keep telling me how I'm hurting Linux porting efforts by pre-ordering that one game...

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          [Citation Needed]
          But yeah, have your little rage moment over me pre-ordering a game when there was a Linux port promised and being developed and keep telling me how I'm hurting Linux porting efforts by pre-ordering that one game...
          Read gaming on linux site. They had devs explained how porting works with steam. no port at time of buying = no money for porter. I have 0 interest supporting studios not releasing Linux ports, I have, however, interest, supporting porters.
          It's common knowledge and commonly accepted by everyone and their dog. Only you have problem understanding it.

Comment

The publisher does pay the porters as well as the original devs. The publisher gets money for sales. I don't see what steam has to do with it. How should valve decide what the publisher does with its money?

Comment

Read gaming on linux site. They had devs explained how porting works with steam. no port at time of buying = no money for porter. I have 0 interest supporting studios not releasing Linux ports, I have, however, interest, supporting porters.
              It's common knowledge and commonly accepted by everyone and their dog. Only you have problem understanding it.
              Once again, when you make claims like that, you need to back them up with an informed source. Until you do, I'm just going to assume you're talking out of your ass because it sounds completely stupid that publishers wouldn't pay companies porting games for Linux for Steam pre-sales of the Linux versions when said sales are clearly marked as Linux sales in their Steam sales figures.

The fact that you believe something to be commonly accepted means literally nothing unless you can back it up.

Comment

Here's the article dimko was referencing:

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Here's the article dimko was referencing:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...on-linux.3934/
                  thanks, got tired of that guy already...

Comment

Working...
                  X