No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Hits 1,800 Games Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and a few Arch-based distros and all have required me to remove the supplied libraries that come with Steam before it would install/run for the first time.
    I keep this page of the Arch wiki bookmarked for that exact reason: Steam runtime issues
    I haven't had too many issues besides the initial setup requiring me to delete the included outdated libs.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post
      On Kubuntu 64 just download the deb package from steam, double click, password and done.
      If you use nvidia and have installed the driver by driver manager, 32 bits library is installed by default. In nvidia installer you have to answer yes when asked for.
      Just did it 2 weeks ago on Ubuntu 14.04 fresh install + updates. Next time I will try to install it with the .deb package. ty for the hint guys

(32 bits drivers are not the issue, as you mentionned NVidia installs it in a good way. But glibc and other libraries/dependencies are, and even after that it seems that they are linked in a bad way.)

Comment

On gentoo:
        layman -a steam-overlay
        emerge steam-client-meta

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
          By the way I directly accuse all those bugs that makes Steam so f****ing hard to install on 64 bits distros.

I put 1 whole hour once again, roaming all forums just to install it on Ubuntu 64bits.

This is a shame :

1) need to create an Ubuntu account to install Steam via the app store => bad, why?
          2) launch and update crash, basically because 32 bits graphical libs are not installed => VERY bad... what about dependencies???
          3) other libs had to be linked manually (yes, the 'ln -s' command) because those installed by Valve are obsolete => insane
          4) I had to modify the /etc/password.Let me repeat : modify /etc/password !! The last time I did that was in 2005 maybe...
          5) reboot (ok this one took 20mn of the hour because I was trying hard without this reboot...)

Be sure that 95% of beginners who tried just gave up after 30mn of madness saying "Wow they told me Linux was cool and simple but it is still this complicated shit I tried 5 years ago. I just wanna play Team Fortress but don 't understand anything about it, let's double click on Steam for Windows"

Will we ever get a fix for that??Because I am sure it costs Steam on Linux 1% usage!

(please do not blame Ubuntu too much, Opensuse and Mint have the same #2 and #3 issues on 64 bits version)
          1. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/ → Install Steam → Install Steam Now
          2. It will download a .deb file. Install it.
          3. Run this command to install dependencies:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get -f install
          4. Open Steam. It will download remaining dependencies and update your graphics drivers.

I've done that on several Ubuntu machines and never once had an issue. Granted, as others have mentioned I only use the LTS versions. I typically prefer more stability to shiny new features.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
            Not seeing how Steam has any impact in Linux adoption.
            Having a half-decent list of good games does make linux look better than in the (recent) past when the best games were clones of quake or something, or had to be run with Wine.

Seriously, even if you aren't a gamer you should understand that if someone likes gaming and linux, and on linux can also play something without major annoyances, it's going to be better for linux.

The long awaited Steam Machines arrived with a giant thud and a lot of bad reviews. They're much more expensive than traditional consoles, and vendors are selling them with Windows installed rather than Steam OS.
            Even selling them with Windows is a win for Steam, in case you didn't notice.
            And they are more expensive but are more powerful on average, like "running at 30+ fps at 1080p on most PC versions of console games".

Also, anyone with a modicum of experience in gaming was 100% sure that SteamOS was going to be shit compared to windows (for gaming), because most drivers suck, and the whole graphics stack is very meh.

But if you looked at the arms race of driver development instead of parroting common knowledge, you would be hard-pressed to find a rational explanation.

The only plausible reason is Steam, or more appropriately, a renewed interest in getting Linux out of its hole to make commercial products out of it.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 January 2016, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

Not seeing how Steam has any impact in Linux adoption. The long awaited Steam Machines arrived with a giant thud and a lot of bad reviews. They're much more expensive than traditional consoles, and vendors are selling them with Windows installed rather than Steam OS.

Can't see the few steam games ported to Linux making any real impact on the number of Linux users. Not that I care. I don't play video games, so really couldn't care less.
              Let's say you just don't care, otherwise you would spread nonsense.

SM themselves got lot of praise. What got criticized is selection of the games - for "duh" reasons. Also BS, Vendors can't sell them as Steam Machines and Windows installed - name "Steam Machine" requires SteamOS. Yes, Allienware sells Alpha as Alpha with Windows, but it is separate product.

But as you admitted, you really don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                Most those problems sound like user based! However I do know about the old redundant library files that come with steam, yes they should be fixed. It's not a terrible problem but is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Most those problems sound like user based! However I do know about the old redundant library files that come with steam, yes they should be fixed. It's not a terrible problem but is annoying.
                  It is not problem for us. But as it requires a lot of Googling and command lines it is blocking for any newbie who would like to test and enjoy Linux, the ideal target to get % users up.

Comment

Number is growing, would be great to have report on the percentage of Linux games, casue the total number of Steam games is also growing fast.

With more great, modern games being developed on Unity, the real bottle-neck I think is the graphic stack: drivers, Mesa and everything else.. maybe a crowd-funding campaign to give more resources to those teams could help, what you think?

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
                      On gentoo:
                      layman -a steam-overlay
                      emerge steam-client-meta
                      And crash...

No thanks. Steam sucks... major... balls... and is a root kit after all (you can't play WITHOUT this root-kit digging into the game and OS).

Steam is bad and should not be adopted at all under Linux. Wrong way all the way.

EDIT:
                      And at @Unity guys... Unity sucks major balls. If a game is on Unity you know problems and crappy performance are up ahead (and it looks the same as any other Unity based game). Why do people even support this piece of shit in the first place? Is crap, has been crap, and will always be crap.
                      Last edited by Dragonlord; 22 January 2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X