LinuxGames has a QuakeCon recap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Prey is another one of their titles. It's still selling pretty good actually, and is one of the things that's publicly known- they've done a handful of other projects that their name didn't get put on it because they were the subcontractor on the project.

Couple this with keeping a good control on the good money they got from Terminal Velocity, Duke, and Shadow Warrior, they've been able to keep going all this time. It remains to be seen if DNF is going to be worth the wait we've had- but some people that've seen the current "attempt" at it that may well be on it's way to Gold status have been at least mildly impressed. We'll see- I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. If I can get them to give me the time of day on a discussion of a Linux/MacOS version port and see it for myself, I'll change that position.
    But Prey was made by Human head, not 3DR. The last game they actually developed was Shadow warrior, over a decade ago. Its amazing how they can live (rather lavishly) from dos era yesterhits.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
      I'm usually behind your posts on most issues, but on this one I'm not buying what you're selling. I am a Linux gamer... that does not make me a gamer who likes older crappier games. Occasionally, however, I will buy the older crappier games that do end up getting a Linux port just because I have the hope it will help the situation, but I still reserve the right to bitch about the fact that the latest games do not make it to my chosen OS. I do vote with my wallet as well as choose to acknowledge the problems with the situation.
      You're not one of the ones that the rant was directed at.

You don't think you're entitled to games. You've indicated in the past that you know the mess things are and would like for it to be better, pointing out some of the problems that you see. You're not one of the ones that's making the infringements (at least I hope you're not one of them- copying these titles without paying for them is analogous to what Verizon and Actiontec did to the busybox authors...).

So, you're not so much part of the problem as an upset and frustrated Linux user- welcome to that club. Honestly, the T-shirt's not worth the membership.

Me, I'm an upset user AND developer.

I'm frustrated beyond words at having to pay so damn much to get things to be on our chosen platform.

I'm frustrated beyond words at the Linux community being ignored when it comes to a lot of commercial software- we've got more users than Mac does right now.

I'm frustrated beyond words at the people who keep doing the exact things that ensure that they do NOT get the nice new stuff they keep griping about.

The rant was a bit of venting out that frustration.

Whether you agree with my remarks or not, the fact of the matter is, a goodly portion of why we have things the way we do right now is due to the very things I ranted about. That's just a fact, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        But Prey was made by Human head, not 3DR.
        Can't tell if you were being serious or not, but just for the record, Prey was originally made by 3DRealms. They just eventually handed it off to Human Head to finish it.
        Classic trailer of 3DRealms 'Prey' from back in 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          But Prey was made by Human head, not 3DR. The last game they actually developed was Shadow warrior, over a decade ago. Its amazing how they can live (rather lavishly) from dos era yesterhits.
          It's my understanding that 3DR had a helping hand along with being the main publisher for it. Now, that could be wrong, but...

Originally posted by wikipedia
          In 2001, 3D Realms began development on a new version of the title.[7] This time, with the advantage of the necessary portal technology already being a stable and functional component of all modern game engines, 3D Realms was able to license the necessary technology instead of having to develop it. 3D Realms chose the id Tech 4 game engine from id Software, and Rune developer Human Head Studios was commissioned to develop the game using the previous designs as a base.
          And...

Originally posted by wikipedia
          "New York, NY – April 26, 2005 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), and 3D Realms today announced Prey, a revolutionary first person shooter for PC and a next-generation console system in development at Human Head Studios, under the direct supervision of 3D Realms."[10]
          Which mostly maps to my understanding of things- Which is Human Head doing a good bit of the work after 3DR started it- with 3DR giving helpful shoves in the right places with the right people at the right times and then publishing the title. Which is much like what you see with Grey Matter or Splash Damage and iD on those titles they did.

Now, I could be wrong there, but...

Anyhow, even if they didn't do the work, they DID act as the primary publisher of the title and they did a similar thing for Max Payne 1 & 2- which would have netted them enough money to keep forging forward on DNF or some other project.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            Mappers are in abundance though
            Might want to point such people over here, then: http://edgeofchaos.planetdoom.gamespy.com/

A free total conversion mod for Doom 3 set in the Hexen universe, which has gained the full blessing of Raven Software. The mod is scheduled to be released for Linux as well as Windows. They're currently looking for mappers, as the news post implies.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              It's my understanding that 3DR had a helping hand along with being the main publisher for it. Now, that could be wrong, but...
              You just hold on a sec there... I read somewhere that 3DR made it through all these years without an own title because they've been also publishing (or helping publish) other studio's titles, and that also was a way they were able to inject DNF with money. Wouldn't that make them also a publisher, and as such, if approached correctly, one friendly towards Linux? Did I understand you correctly and you actually know someone at 3DR?

1 + 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                You just hold on a sec there... I read somewhere that 3DR made it through all these years without an own title because they've been also publishing (or helping publish) other studio's titles, and that also was a way they were able to inject DNF with money. Wouldn't that make them also a publisher, and as such, if approached correctly, one friendly towards Linux? Did I understand you correctly and you actually know someone at 3DR?

1 + 1?
                No, I don't know someone over there (much to my dismay...)- some of my friends do, though, so at some point in the near future (I've waaaaay too many irons in the fire right at the moment- need to close out Bandits at least...) I'll try to see if I can go talk to a few people over there in Garland and see what comes of it. It's a decent prospect for us- I just didn't list anything they did or are planning to do in any of the lists because it's still a big unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Might want to point such people over here, then: http://edgeofchaos.planetdoom.gamespy.com/

A free total conversion mod for Doom 3 set in the Hexen universe, which has gained the full blessing of Raven Software. The mod is scheduled to be released for Linux as well as Windows. They're currently looking for mappers, as the news post implies.
                  yea, but that mod has been in development for years now.

Comment

Working...
                  X