No announcement yet.

LinuxGames has a QuakeCon recap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading a few months ago (when the new video of Duke lifting weights was released) that they are all for a Linux version. At this point, the franchise may actually benefit of having clients on as many platforms as they can, IMO. If you have any contacts, it may be worth a try sugar-talking them to do a Linux version (I'd LOVE if they'd be willing to give us a headstart and release the Demo on Linux first than any other platform, that'd be me dreaming [again])

Comment

I guess this could be possible. Those guys have after all their own way of doing things which is not what the rest of the business does. Let's see what happens. So far they have not gone gold so everything and nothing can happen :P

Comment

As a side note, with how long this new Duke game is taking, why hasn't 3D Realms gone out of business yet? I don't remember a recent product of theirs...

"I'm looking for some monopolistic toilet to park my bricks. Who's first?"

Comment

"Your ass... your face... where's the difference" :P

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
            As a side note, with how long this new Duke game is taking, why hasn't 3D Realms gone out of business yet? I don't remember a recent product of theirs...
            Prey is another one of their titles. It's still selling pretty good actually, and is one of the things that's publicly known- they've done a handful of other projects that their name didn't get put on it because they were the subcontractor on the project.

Couple this with keeping a good control on the good money they got from Terminal Velocity, Duke, and Shadow Warrior, they've been able to keep going all this time. It remains to be seen if DNF is going to be worth the wait we've had- but some people that've seen the current "attempt" at it that may well be on it's way to Gold status have been at least mildly impressed. We'll see- I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. If I can get them to give me the time of day on a discussion of a Linux/MacOS version port and see it for myself, I'll change that position.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonlord View Post
              :d

"your ass... Your face... Where's the difference"
              roflmao!

Comment

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum!"

Good god... those memories . This is somehow the kind of fun I'm missing in todays games... just this damn fucking fun a game can give you playing it... not like this shit tossed at us nowadays U_U

Comment

Yup, the fun factor in games seems to be Missing in Action in favour for graphics, physics and sound, but not fun. Well, that Penny Arcade game actually brings lots of it to the table, but certainly more games better start to get back the fun factor again.

Comment

Svartalf, you sound so like the comments from Nintendo before they launched the first console in years to make a profit on the hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      One of the key take away items here would be:

(The following is representative of MY views and does not reflect any entities' views such as LGP (for which I have a tag on my name here in this forum)...)

Rage will happen for us, but only on their time- and WE, the people out there using Linux, have only ourselves to blame.

Why do I say this?

Each time you lot goes and bitches about the "age" of a given game or compares the price of the Windows version versus the Linux one and bitches about that you do yourselves and everyone else a serious disservice. We're being watched. And this is the results of some of that sort of thing.

Spare all of us the "more money" line, folks- it's not valid, really. Do you think iD cares about a piddling 1000-2000 users' worth of money? In their minds, that's about all they think they can sell based off of what people can publicly see and the past performances we've given them in this area (Q3:A only sold 200 copies for the official Linux version because of the kinds of thinking I've seen espoused in these forums...)- which makes it not worth their while. The main reason he's been doing Linux titles is that it made sense to make the stuff cross platform and we were an underserved market. Unfortunately for us, we also seem to be an arrogant and ungrateful one as well, presuming that we're entitled to stuff.

You're NOT their customer. At best, you're a user of their software if you're using one of their official or unofficial platforms they've chosen to target.

Their customer is the publisher.

The publisher's customer is the retailer.

When you buy from a retailer, they don't care about what OS you're running- they're selling you a little box with a bit of paper and a bit of plastic in it, that purportedly does something when it is stuck into a Windows or MacOS based machine or a console.

So we've got over 30 million users worldwide. Great.

How many of that are willing to buy games? Hundreds? Thousands?

If it's not the same scope and scale as the Mac crowd has been (and we're not there, gang, because of that sense of entitlement we all seem to have here...) they're NOT going to be interested, being a seriously underserved community and all. They've got to see a return on things and for most players, they're not seeing anything except a LOSS from making stuff for us.

What we've shown is that we're not interested in buying games- and in a manner that leads people like iD to not consider us being on the radar and like Epic who's delayed the release now some 10 months if we even SEE the thing in the case of UT3.

Spare me conspiracy theories of Microsoft. Sure, they might have had SOME hand in Unreal not being in our hands- but it's unlikely all the same.

We're our own worst enemy, if you honestly want to know the truth. This is the fruits, folks, of the "it's too expensive", or "it's too old", or "that tanked" lines of thought and the resultant actions.

You run Linux. WHY would you ever want to run a Windows title?
                      In the infancy of things right now, WHY would you ever commit an infringement on a given title?

Because you can? Because you can't be bothered to hold off for a better situation or to get an actual native binary? Because the game's "too cool" and you can't stand not being able to run it?
                      Because you don't think the game's worth the price, either because the Windows version is cheaper than the Linux version or "you've already bought it"?

Each time you use WINE for a contemporary game you vote for Windows, even if we're as large a userbase as we think we are.

Each time you buy a Windows SKU and "convert" it to Linux when there was an official Linux version, you make a vote for Windows.

Each time you choose to make an infringement of a current selling Linux title, you're actually HURTING things- yes, I know it's a no-sale, but the problem is when the "no-sales" comprise what would have possibly made for a break-even or a profit sufficient to get the next and cooler title that might have sold, you defeat yourselves. The people doing the infringements seem to think it was worth spreading around- but not worth enough to buy. Each time someone does this, it gives the impression, right or wrong, that we aren't interested in buying games. Moreover, it lends the impression, right or wrong, that we're more interested in infringing upon their rights that paying the money for things...

Look well at this folks. This is the fruits of all of our labors here.

Just at the moment we're winning one fight for things, we're losing it for at least the next 3-5 years or more on the gaming front.

Because of the things I've just said.

I hope all of the people that are guilty of the aforementioned things are PROUD of themselves. They're succeeding in doing for Microsoft what they couldn't do otherwise- deep sixing gaming on Linux for some time to come.
                      I'm usually behind your posts on most issues, but on this one I'm not buying what you're selling. I am a Linux gamer... that does not make me a gamer who likes older crappier games. Occasionally, however, I will buy the older crappier games that do end up getting a Linux port just because I have the hope it will help the situation, but I still reserve the right to bitch about the fact that the latest games do not make it to my chosen OS. I do vote with my wallet as well as choose to acknowledge the problems with the situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X