No announcement yet.

Steam Had A Very Rough Christmas With A Major Security Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lkraav You've just made my day! Thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by lkraav View Post

Veske is right. Because all, yes all, other programming languages besides PHP have a "do_not_leak_personal_info()" function in their standard library which would've prevented Steam's problem.

A few advanced languages even have the "fix_all_bugs_upfront_regardless_of_system_siz e_or _complexity()" function. But not PHP. Definitely too bad for all those PHP users.

Practice has shown that the most obscure and stupid solutions are made up by PHP developers. For some reason PHP developers are really famous for that. Also: http://s18.postimg.org/80bre0ptl/php.jpg
      Last edited by Veske; 26 December 2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post

Practice has shown that the most obscure and stupid solutions are made up by PHP developers. For some reason PHP developers are really famous for that. Also: http://s18.postimg.org/80bre0ptl/php.jpg
        Sure, everybody that's been around for a bit knows about the low barrier of entry problem, which is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

But why disrespect a high level operation like Steam with an obvious over-generalization which is super-unlikely to be an actual problem for this specific scenario?

Comment

The irony of this Steam blowup is that it makes me remember that I need to go buy more Steam Games by introducing a period of time where I couldn't.

Also it should be obvious that PHP gets a bad rep because it's the most popular of web server languages. PHP is the Facebook of Web Languages - literally and figuratively.

It would be complete ignorance to just say "PHP Sucks" because the average PHP programmer forgets to sanitize his mysql strings and fails to practice good programming standards. Nothing will save you from bad code it doesn't matter if it's Python, C++, or your beloved ASP/.NET - bad code finds a way to screw up.

It shouldn't be surprising either that the most popular is plagued with the noob to novice "commonly", I say "commonly" because there's always that outlier that defies normality.

Comment

Working...
          X