Saints Row On Linux Is The Latest Linux Game Showing Off Driver Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@haagch

Well i think the AMD logo should get replaced by a Nvidia one for Linux. You only need a midrage card to play it with Nvidia. Well die hard AMD fans will play it with 15 fps ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by thatguruguy View Post

It's a required screen configuration? As in, I'm required to use multiple screens, whether I want to or not? That's odd, considering the fact that people who use multiple monitors are in the minority.
      Minority? 15%! Sure it's not 50%, because one screen is enough to run the game, but imagine if game doesn't work for those with multiple screens, that -15% profit, that huge!
      In any case if 15% of users have multiple screens, than it is far from being bizzare.

Comment

Originally posted by thatguruguy View Post

It's a required screen configuration? As in, I'm required to use multiple screens, whether I want to or not? That's odd, considering the fact that people who use multiple monitors are in the minority.
        Has nobody yet noticed that this survey is strictly for multi-screen *spanning* gameplay? The question specifically omits using Teamspeak on a separate display, which is a scenario corresponding directly to duby229's use of his own multiple displays (as best I can tell). His use case, multiple displays without spanning, would fall into the 71.8% majority.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Running in a window is always going to be a performance hit. It's true in Windows too.

Just get a Chromebook to do your multitasking while gaming.
          I game on Windows with Nvidia graphics, and however they've done it, full screen windowed mode seems to run just as fast as true full screen. It even does GSync. The only thing Nvidia cannot do in full screen windowed is SLI mode and I am sure they're working on it.

Games I've tried this in: WoW and SWTOR run at the same FPS in windowed or full. DA:I and Everquest Landmark run almost twice as fast in full screen because of SLI, but would be the same otherwise.

Fairly usefully, the secondary display stays active in full screen games, which allows having a game hints web page open. Alt-Tab to and from full screen is actually pretty fast these days so even though I lose the game display I can still pop in and out to switch web pages or change music.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You obviously haven't played many games on linux yet. There are like 15 different ways for game devs to implement fullscreen and almost all of them are a pain in the ass. Gaming in windowed mode is often times the only way to play a game while still being able to do other things. Wine with a virtual desktop is the best case scenario for fullscreen gaming and thats screwed up.
            The best is to start the game in a new session

Comment

I usually go full screen, and using alt-tab let me see whatever I want it( youtube, music, etc). Maybe I had a problem a few times but nothing huge and very rare that I can just reload the game, usually the game I do that is dota 2, wasteland 2 and warthunder and they work fine. On mate, gnome and xfce.
              Maybe this will change if in a future if I use multi monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                Yea, "the" proprietary driver.
                Here is R9 390 with fglrx:

This is just another case of "optimized for nvidia" I think.
                I heard game runs nvidia threaded variabile by default, so it is CPU bound for all obviosly Which also means eventually some future Radeon Software profile will help much here.

Someone should compare CPU usage while playing that game nvidia vs amd, if there is much difference then for sure it cries for profile.
                Last edited by dungeon; 22 December 2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Why don't you buy it and rename the binary?

Comment

For those having trouble with multiple screens, try Zaphod mode, it will behave much better. The only downside is you can't drag windows across screens. Also avoid xf86-video-ati 7.6.1 as it has a nasty bug.

Comment

So, yet another popular AAA game is ported to Linux and the Nvidia blob is in good shape but otherwise, good luck. This is why many people continue to give Nvidia money, people just want to play, not get into a philosophical debate about freedom for a proprietary game.

Comment

Working...
                      X