Saints Row On Linux Is The Latest Linux Game Showing Off Driver Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saints Row On Linux Is The Latest Linux Game Showing Off Driver Issues

Phoronix: Saints Row On Linux Is The Latest Linux Game Showing Off Driver Issues

The two latest Saints Row games were released for Linux yesterday. While many were initially excited about these open-world games coming to Linux, many haven't been able to enjoy the experience due to driver issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OK, who in the real-world runs a 3D game like Saints Row in a freakin' window? I'm not saying that running fullscreen will fix all of your problems (especially with crappy drivers) but anybody who understands disabling redirection of fullscreen windows will know that you are going to have a better time running these games fullscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      OK, who in the real-world runs a 3D game like Saints Row in a freakin' window? I'm not saying that running fullscreen will fix all of your problems (especially with crappy drivers) but anybody who understands disabling redirection of fullscreen windows will know that you are going to have a better time running these games fullscreen.
      You obviously haven't played many games on linux yet. There are like 15 different ways for game devs to implement fullscreen and almost all of them are a pain in the ass. Gaming in windowed mode is often times the only way to play a game while still being able to do other things. Wine with a virtual desktop is the best case scenario for fullscreen gaming and thats screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You obviously haven't played many games on linux yet.
        Wrong. I've been playing games on Linux, including through Wine before it was really easy or popular, for over 10 years. I've done plenty, and this whole "15 ways to do fullscreen" sounds like a load of B.S. I have *never* had issues running games in fullscreen, from running CIV 4 on primitive versions of Wine over 8 years ago through to running Shadows of Mordor fullscreen without a glitch this year.

Comment

My experience is very much different from yours. I usually have to multitask, and windowed is usually the -only- opton that works.

EDIT: Very few games implement fullscreen like a borderless window, and those games can work as long as they don't try to lock the mouse. The only other fullscreen option that works is wine with a virtual desktop.

EDIT: Also I have 3 monitors and a TV plugged in. I need to be able to move the mouse to those screens even if in fullscreen mode.
          Last edited by duby229; 22 December 2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Wrong. I've been playing games on Linux, including through Wine before it was really easy or popular, for over 10 years. I've done plenty, and this whole "15 ways to do fullscreen" sounds like a load of B.S. I have *never* had issues running games in fullscreen, from running CIV 4 on primitive versions of Wine over 8 years ago through to running Shadows of Mordor fullscreen without a glitch this year.
            I myself never play fullscreen. The main reason being that often times games change the default resolution even if I don't ask them to, completely messing everything up. What's worse is when a game messes up my multiscreen setup. No, fullscreen games are far from a pleasant experience. I play in borderless windows

Comment

With the proprietary driver, the experience seems better, "A simple Nvidia
              Yea, "the" proprietary driver.
              Here is R9 390 with fglrx:

This is just another case of "optimized for nvidia" I think.

Comment

QUOTE=duby229;n841531]
                EDIT: Also I have 3 monitors and a TV plugged in. I need to be able to move the mouse to those screens even if in fullscreen mode.[/QUOTE]

OK lovely, you have an intentionally bizarro setup that would probably have numerous issues with any gaming platform be it Windows, Linux, or freakin' DOS. Stop acting like your setup is "normal" and that the rest of the world who isn't acting exactly like you must be populated by idiots, because it makes you look like an arrogant douche.

I do remember running HL2 through wine on two monitors several years ago without any major issues, so it most certainly can be done.

Comment

I'll also chime in, most games don't get fullscreen right. And by right, I mean, they don't understand that people have more than two monitors. Yes, fullscreen is easy on a single monitor, you can do it by accident and call it done. But most games will do one of the three once a second monitor is added:
                  1. Assume your fullscreen resolution is the combination of all your monitors. This is infuriating and usually means you can only play windowed if it even lets you select other resolutions for windowed mode. I've actually seen this happen, probably the developer is using some proprietary or unique way of detecting monitors and resolutions.
                  2. When going full screen, turn off all other screens. This is infuriating for obvious reasons.
                  3. Die immediately without letting you set options. Warsow on linux is a good example - the only way to play on a multi-monitor setup is to run the game through wine, or to edit the config file by hand to force it to windowed mode.
                  The only games that seem to get fullscreen right are the ones implementing SDL 2, the one that Valve worked on for their source engine. Everything else I just give up trying and don't even try fullscreen anymore. The pain of losing my monitor configuration just because I want to launch a game in fullscreen is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    EDIT: Also I have 3 monitors and a TV plugged in. I need to be able to move the mouse to those screens even if in fullscreen mode.
                    OK lovely, you have an intentionally bizarro setup that would probably have numerous issues with any gaming platform be it Windows, Linux, or freakin' DOS. Stop acting like your setup is "normal" and that the rest of the world who isn't acting exactly like you must be populated by idiots, because it makes you look like an arrogant douche.

I do remember running HL2 through wine on two monitors several years ago without any major issues, so it most certainly can be done.
                    Really? You think I'm the only linux user that needs multiple screens? Why don't you stop acting like required screen configuration shouldn't be accounted for. That just makes makes you sound ignorant. A large proportion of gamers do use multiple screens.
                    Last edited by duby229; 22 December 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X