Street Fighter V Is Being Ported To SteamOS / Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

(I'm not trying to be rude) Actually, now a days that is almost exactly what runs modern arcade machines. They where their own hardware in the past (think pacman, ect), but now they are modfied videogame consoles and window's PCs. Take a look at this wikipedia page on Sega arcade machines. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...de_video_games). You can see that many of thier machines are modified Dreamcasts, Gamecubes, XBoxes, or even full windows running PC computers. The MAME emulator actually has a core to emulate enough of the WindowsXP system and certain GPU's used in arcade machines.... but as you imagine, it is too slow to play/use on modern hardware.
    I can vouch for this, since I live 30 minutes away from an arcade and have seen the technicians there perform maintenance and servicing on various machines. One particular cabinet (forgot what it was) was powered by a PS3. And there was a dancing game that ran off an Xbox. Seriously.

And if memory serves, I think SEGA's OutRUN series ran on top of an x86 computer.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Tastes are different of course, but if this one is AAA, then Witcher 2 is AAAAAAAAA and Bioshock is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
      Every genre needs a AAA on StreamOS to be taken seriously like a console. Also this should help tighten up the Linux ability of the engine. What fighting game makes Street Fighter not a AAA?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Oh lookie, the world's crappiest fighter gets a Linux port. Performance is expected to to crap on Linux and way worse than on Windows. I'll stick to the console version.
        This is so funny when you remember that the Playstation version of the previous game was full of terrible bugs.

When you consider it uses Unreal Engine 4 AND it's being assisted by Valve, one of the few companies that bothered optimizing their games for Linux, I would say it has above average chances of being a good port.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

This is so funny when you remember that the Playstation version of the previous game was full of terrible bugs.

When you consider it uses Unreal Engine 4 AND it's being assisted by Valve, one of the few companies that bothered optimizing their games for Linux, I would say it has above average chances of being a good port.
          What bugs? My copy of SF IV on the PS3 was as good as it could get. (Doesn't change the fact that the SF series are still crap imo...)

Originally posted by Deavir
          Every genre needs a AAA on StreamOS to be taken seriously like a console. Also this should help tighten up the Linux ability of the engine. What fighting game makes Street Fighter not a AAA?
          Melty Blood.
          BlazBlue
          Guilty Gear
          KOF
          Arcana Heart
          Degenki Bunko Fighting Climax.
          The fighting game spinoff of Toaru Majutsu no Index
          Virtua Fighter
          Tekken
          Last edited by Sonadow; 18 December 2015, 02:56 AM.

Comment

It's great it's coming to Linux, but will it be playable by mere mortals? I loved the series, but SF4 was so hard to play, I could never even do all the moves in training mode. Tried both keyboard and a controller. If SF5 is again targeted at hardcore fans, I'm going to be disappointed.

Comment

Bloodstained and Mighty No. 9, basically spiritual successors to Castlevania and Mega Man, will be ported to SteamOS as well. This is great news as I have no interest in buying a PS4 XBONE or WiiU.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

What bugs? My copy of SF IV on the PS3 was as good as it could get. (Doesn't change the fact that the SF series are still crap imo...)
                The PS4 version was garbage before it got patched.

The PS3 version did not even cross my mind since it's not a current generation console and if I recall correctly the port for it was done by a different company than the PS4 port.
                Last edited by Aeder; 06 January 2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X