The "SMACH Z" AMD + Linux Gaming Handheld Just Got Canned, For Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "SMACH Z" AMD + Linux Gaming Handheld Just Got Canned, For Now

Phoronix: The "SMACH Z" AMD + Linux Gaming Handheld Just Got Canned, For Now

SMACH Z, the handheld Steam Linux gaming system powered by an AMD SoC, is going back to the drawing board and they've decided to cancel their current crowdfunding campaign...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its isnt hard to add some wizzard to simply start to installation of Windows from grub bootloader, but it would be still complicated for normal user - he would need to fiddle with Windows usb install flashdrive or use usb dvd rom, its annoying.

For me this would be ultimate machine, with triple boot - SteamOS (Linux), Windows and Android (supported with store).

But there were other design flaws:
    - We realy dont know if this AMD APU with 5-10W TDP would have enought performace for even old games
    - especialy in Linux with crappy AMD GPU support
    - i have VIta and i dont have glasses but i can tell you, that 5 inch screen is too small for complex games, i have tried to play Assassins creed liberation on vita, it wasnt pleas, to many small thing on screen to be aware - ideal size of screen is somewhere around 6 inches, i had 7 inches Android console with pseudo screen and even games like Warcraft 2 or Fallout in Dosbox were ok..
    - shape of console, with these valve haptic touchpads, is console too big, even this small screen and dont thing whole layout has good, we simply need a bit bigger PS Vita
    - pricing i thing that PRO model was a bit overpriced and in principle i dont like this model, sale for first 100 backers, lesser sale for next 500 etc..
    - possibility to change sticks, dpads etc.. even it make a sense for home console gamepad - like MS elite controller, but in case of handheld, i dont think so, because you would travel with bag with these sticks and button and its quite big change to lost them. - 2 analog stick - are proven concept

But if all things above would be fixed, it would be really ultimate future proof device without any real competitors.

Comment

I liked it and was thinking of apply for one or two.
      Let's hope it gets an newer generation of AMD APU but i would get one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
        Its isnt hard to add some wizzard to simply start to installation of Windows from grub bootloader, but it would be still
        - especialy in Linux with crappy AMD GPU support
        Presumably this would be a low end part... and the open source amd driver is probably as fast or faster than catalyst there ( it really only has problems with high end GPUs where it's not fully optimized yet) So, quite the contrary this part should have excellent AMD.

Also, it has no competitors because there isn't anything more than a niche market for it... for all the reasons you said and then some. Much the same as with the OpenPandora.

Comment

Personally, I think that Linux, or really anything other than Windows is better for this, but AMD will perform better on Windows right NOW, rather than later. I would really like it if AMD could get them something from their Zen 14nm process in the embedded series, and then work with Valve much closer.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post

For me this would be ultimate machine, with triple boot - SteamOS (Linux), Windows and Android (supported with store).
            Maintening just 1 of them is already a hard work, I cannot imagine 3 of them! Furthermore this means having a bunch of partitions and divise available storage...

And do you think a normal user can realize why there will be that "power on" menu? I want Street fighter I choose Windows, now Bubles, lets reboot on Android, lol

Why are a lot of people wanting Windows on that thing? Office??? This is not serious.
            And why Android? There are already so many tablets with "candy shit saga" games...

Linux is the only option IMO, but if AMD does not provide good drivers the whole project is born dead.

BTW I agree with you on 1 point : on a 5 inch screen most Steam games will be unplayable because details and fonts will be too slim.

Comment

Whatever OS they install some people will want something else thats for sure So, they should advertise this as PCGirl handheld with no OS next time

Comment

I would just get a Shield K1 with Android and stream the Window Steam games. Well as Steam has no own Android app this will only work with Nvidia cards.

Comment

What a shame, portable Steam console would be a great way to bring lots of Steam users to Linux, and more Linux users = more games..

Comment

No offence to whoever suggested it, but Windows on that device would be pretty fucking stupid. Literally the only thing that device needs is for Steam to enforce minimum requirements. And that's it.
                    Last edited by duby229; 17 December 2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X