A Majority Seem To Agree Open-Source Games/Engines Are Trending Downhill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe until Unity open its source :-).

Anyway I think I still see people around me using OS game engine (Godot, for example). Most people I know (including myself) write their owns which may or may not be OS. Those engine use some open source libraries though. Mine is heavily based on SDL2.

Comment

This article is clearly a cry for help.

If Michael is having issues securing funding for the helpful research he has done on behalf of the GNU/Linux community, then perhaps he should file for 501c non-profit status? That would legally give him to ability to raise money to fund his efforts.

You could also use sites like Patreon as a source to acquire the financial resources you need.

I would appreciate it, Michael, if you would be more resourceful in your money-raising efforts, instead of denigrating the GNU/Linux game community out of frustration. The truth is, most FLOSS projects are still in their infancy. You cannot claim they are "going downhill" when they're just learning how to walk. It's too early for that kind of judgment.

Comment

Likely if Linux offered 3D performance comparable to Windows it would fare better.

Linux is a superior operating system for many, many, many types of work or purpose, but 3D gaming ain't one of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnystormy View Post
          If Michael is having issues securing funding for the helpful research he has done on behalf of the GNU/Linux community, then perhaps he should file for 501c non-profit status?
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)_organization

Given the restrictions, the best shot would be to aim for making a claim based on scientific research but even that seems borderline in this particular case. Still, it could be an option worth investigating.

Comment

And the nice thing about games... is that they are commodities that you can do without. Hence it is OK for them to be closed source and expensive. In fact, the less accessible they are, the better your life will probably end up being.

Personally, I've *never* found a game that could hold onto my interest for more than a few minutes. Probably because there is no such thing as a game that is any better than "completely pointless and a waste of time". Frankly, games take attention away from things that matter, and I WELCOME the LACK of games.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              "completely pointless and a waste of time".
              And what hobby isn't completely pointless and a waste of time? Or are you suggesting no one should have any hobby of any kind anymore? What matters to you does not necessarily matter to everyone else. Individuality is such a precious thing and one I hope does not become illegal for a long time to come. Besides, it is easily possible to balance the aforementioned "waste of time" with things that truly matter.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post

I must admit I don't understand this phoronix article.
                I don't either, other than it appears Michael has his head in the sand and only pays attention to a few, chosen projects. Fanboism vs Journalism.

Comment

FOSS games are avoiding the places where the GAMERS are. Desura is DEAD. Now head to Steam , like TeeWorlds (which is doing pretty good there): http://store.steampowered.com/app/380840/

Comment

Working...
                  X