Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Is Getting Ready For XCOM 2 On Linux

Phoronix: Feral Is Getting Ready For XCOM 2 On Linux

Feral Interactive passed along word this morning about the XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is now available for pre-order from Steam, which will be released in February with OS X and Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Feral Is Getting Ready For XCOM 2 On Linux

Feral Interactive passed along word this morning about the XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is now available for pre-order from Steam, which will be released in February with OS X and Linux support...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...XCOM2-February
    Is there a way to influence the choice of games chosen by Feral to be ported to Linux?

For example, I would vote for Tomb Raider (2013) and the whole Tomb Raider series. Though I am not sure whether this is economically justifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

Is there a way to influence the choice of games chosen by Feral to be ported to Linux?

For example, I would vote for Tomb Raider (2013) and the whole Tomb Raider series. Though I am not sure whether this is economically justifiable.
      Considering the 2013 game is often sold for as little as $5 (sometimes even less) during the sales, I'm not sure if it's economically justifiable to even make a Mac version.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Considering the 2013 game is often sold for as little as $5 (sometimes even less) during the sales, I'm not sure if it's economically justifiable to even make a Mac version.
        There exists the (theoretical) option to price Linux games differently than Windows games, because the Linux port itself is a new product. I am not sure whether this pricing model would be successful, but some game developer may nevertheless try it.

Even if I already have the Windows version in my Steam library, I would be willing to pay a couple of Euros for the Linux port itself (at the very least, it would allow me to save some time by avoiding the reboot of my machine to Windows and then back to Linux). Maybe the people behind Steam would be willing to add the support for this marketing model to the Steam app. Until some game developer tries this for real when porting from Windows to Linux, we won't know for sure whether this economic model works or not.

Comment

Business sure is booming for Feral, I'm glad to see that. I wonder if they could be the ones to make the switch and start porting games for wayland support rather than X support (Wayland being able to run nested in X anyways, don't think it adds any overhead)

Too soon?

Comment

Yes Tomb Raider would be cool. As I've mostly played 2013 in Wine, I rather look forward to newer versions. Releasing aside OSX for Linux seems the best way to go for Feral. Commercially better than Linuxgamepublishing for ex. did...

Wayland is not here yet and before 100% are using Wayland, there's no possibility to switch.
            Last edited by mike4; 11 December 2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              I wonder if they could be the ones to make the switch and start porting games for wayland support rather than X support
              They don't port games to X in the first place, they port to SDL, which already supports Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                porting takes little share of programming tasks, which itself takes little share of game developing tasks. so $5 for porting is good

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  porting takes little share of programming tasks, which itself takes little share of game developing tasks. so $5 for porting is good
                  If it were that simple then you wouldn't hear developers constantly moaning about "there's not enough market share to make a linux port".

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

There exists the (theoretical) option to price Linux games differently than Windows games, because the Linux port itself is a new product. I am not sure whether this pricing model would be successful, but some game developer may nevertheless try it.

Even if I already have the Windows version in my Steam library, I would be willing to pay a couple of Euros for the Linux port itself (at the very least, it would allow me to save some time by avoiding the reboot of my machine to Windows and then back to Linux). Maybe the people behind Steam would be willing to add the support for this marketing model to the Steam app. Until some game developer tries this for real when porting from Windows to Linux, we won't know for sure whether this economic model works or not.
                    Linux Game Publishing pretty much did that in the past... And charged a lot for really old games. Look where they ended....

I really doubt steam would ever add per platform pricing.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X