Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Call To Move Games Outside Of Linux Desktop Environments, Own Wayland/KMS Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    It does actually make a lot of sense, provided it's done right. I'm afraid, though, there will be too many limitations for anyone but the average, non-tabbing/video recording gamer. While notifications could, potentially, be piped through a D-Bus interface and displayed by the game's Wayland session, screen recording and things like Teamspeak are a much harder problem. For screen recordings I'd imagine something like Xpra's internal Screenshot command, only for Wayland and fullscreen video, filling the void. The Wayland session itself could probably include that functionality.
    You could send notifications to the game, if they implement the freedesktop DBus protocol, but the game would need to actually draw them, the notification bubble with the text. I don't see any game doing that.
    Unless the games run in their own wayland session as you say, so the wayland compositor they run in would draw them, but then what is the point? Isn't that what we have now?

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
      That's still fullscreen. Fullscreen doesn't mean the window manager gives up all control, it just means an application uses the entirety of a screen (or many screens).
      Play with the words all you want, mgraesslin's proposal only work when the game is the only one managing ALL the screens.
      So if you have one screen managed by the game and another managed by the DE then obviously you cannot get rid of the performance impact of the DE.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
        Play with the words all you want, mgraesslin's proposal only work when the game is the only one managing ALL the screens.
        I agree with that, and that's the problem. It is very inflexible and has many downsides, just to reduce the input delay by an unknown factor and to increase the FPS by another unknown factor. Until some numbers back this i see no upside at all compared to a well functioning wayland session.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
          I absolutely hate when i run a game in X and i cannot adjust the volume anymore, now with Wayland that's fixed.
          Been fixed way before Wayland. You just need an independent daemon listening for global keyboard events. Something like esekeyd or acpid.
          Binding hotkeys to the display server has never been a particularly good design.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Been fixed way before Wayland. You just need an independent daemon listening for global keyboard events. Something like esekeyd or acpid.
            Binding hotkeys to the display server has never been a particularly good design.
            Ah sure, if the daemon goes behind X's back that works. In my experience however, that's not how they work in the X world, and an application grabbing all input breaks them.

Comment

What about run games in some ad hoc virtual machines? Virtual machine environment could be quite isolated from other events and settings on machines and only input which is send from virtual machines to physical OS system is simple 2D picture to be drawn..

Comment

Working...
              X