Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Call To Move Games Outside Of Linux Desktop Environments, Own Wayland/KMS Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nctd
    replied
    How does this compare to the SteamOS system?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Aside from switching tasks or toggling fullscreen, there's also the problem of custom inputs from programs like qjoypad or antimicro. Maybe these would still work fine; I'm not sure. But these programs are handy when you've got a game with less-than-desirable controls.

Other than those few things, this sounds like a great idea. I definitely think no matter what it should be off by default.

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    Well. As long as it isn't going to be as messy as Mac OS X' "fullscreen" implementation(s) (where every game just does whatever it damn well pleases. Some of them drawing themselves into seperate spaces), it's probably not too bad of an idea.

Though I'd really love some sort of standards compliance assurance there. A tightly defined protocol that makes sure every fullscreen application/game behaves exactly the same (perhaps a simple check for OpenGL. i. e. "if App X uses OpenGL, move to separate Wayland session).

If one game is running that way, all the others should as well. No weird hacks that lead to a lack of consistency please.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Basically transforming Linux Desktop to game console. I like! +1

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    What about toggling between windowed mode and fullscreen mode?

Some games can do Ctrl+F or Alt+Enter to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode.

Leave a comment:

• A Call To Move Games Outside Of Linux Desktop Environments, Own Wayland/KMS Setup

Phoronix: A Call To Move Games Outside Of Linux Desktop Environments, Own Wayland/KMS Setup

KDE developer Martin Gräßlin has laid out an idea for shifting games from running within desktop environments to instead their own Wayland server, or taking it even lower to having games interact directly with kernel mode-setting and input received via libinput...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Games-Outside
Working...
X