Steam Linux Gaming To Hit 1,700 Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Etna spectaculary erupted already couple days ago, i thought API would came same day

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorna...ting-lava-air/

Now that would be an amazing release timing!

Comment

actually is 1700+ games already. Some games have Linux support but not listed yet, like HURTWORLD (which is similar to RUST , but better and announced linux support in their greenlight.) There's a depo available for those that want to test it:

Is there any *official* data on when this will be released for Linux? Or is it released but steampage not up2date (there's a depot for Linux, steamDB says)

Comment

Vulkan is the real game changer here for Linux. Until then, it will always be a wasteland of broken drivers and poor performance for gaming. Thought Nvidia proprietary drivers are significantly better to use compared to anything from AMD.

I really can't see DX12 succeeding LONG term unless Vulkan turns out to be a horrible mess on launch (unlikely given the massive amount of support it's getting from developer studios).

The biggest issue I see for the Steam Machines is the performance price ratio. It's still possible to build a WAY better system yourself! They should look at reducing the cost down for a AMD390-GTX970 type system, atm those Steam Machines are over $1000! Common Valve just rip the GPU off em and solder them on the board for cheapness !
        Last edited by theriddick; 09 December 2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          And Steam Machines are going to fly about as well as a lead balloon, because Valve isn't very interested in them, and hasn't been for awhile.
          {{Citation needed}}

Comment

It would, from a business point of view, make no sense for Valve to make such a huge investment in Linux, spending several years porting Steam and all their games to linux, doing kernel development to make it usable for games, working with GPU manufacturers to develop better drivers, telling game developers to port to linux, designing and implementing the whole "big picture" experience, creating an entire linux distribution for the purpose of gaming, doing hardware research&development to create both a new type of gaming controller and a gaming console concept, partnering with hardware manufacturers to design and produce said gaming consoles, ..

... and then be "not very interested in them". Do you realise how little sense you make, and how the talk about the "troll bars" is not very far-fetched?

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
              I'm sorry but that's just unfair. There are plenty AAA titles that are great games - Witcher III, GTAV, Fallout 4 (despite it's technical issues), Battlefield 4 had a terrible start but is currently a great game, the Far Cry series is pretty awesome. You can't generalize and spit on other people's work just because you're in denial Linux doesn't have enough true quality games. Not every big title is AC: Unity or Batman: Arkham Knight. And just because a game launches with a lot of technical issues (which of course is a bad thing), AAA titles bring a lot to the table that indies just cannot - great graphics, great sound, solid actors, more features. You can't just put every game over 40 bucks in the garbage bin.
              I'm not saying that they're bad games, just that they're unimaginative and made to attract the largest audience possible. AAA games often have a lot of features yes, but they're rarely very original. It's usually indie games that have to ether invent or popularize these features before AAA developers will consider adding them to their games. Just look at how they added Minecraft style base building to Fallout 4 after Minecraft exploded in popularity.

I personally don't even care about graphics. In my opinion we hit something of an uncanny valley during the last console generation and before we start reaching photo-realistic levels of graphics I don't think having every so slightly better graphics really matters. My favorite recent game is Wasteland 2 and that most certainly wasn't much of a looker when you zoomed up close.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                I'm not saying that they're bad games, just that they're unimaginative and made to attract the largest audience possible. AAA games often have a lot of features yes, but they're rarely very original. It's usually indie games that have to ether invent or popularize these features before AAA developers will consider adding them to their games. Just look at how they added Minecraft style base building to Fallout 4 after Minecraft exploded in popularity.

I personally don't even care about graphics. In my opinion we hit something of an uncanny valley during the last console generation and before we start reaching photo-realistic levels of graphics I don't think having every so slightly better graphics really matters. My favorite recent game is Wasteland 2 and that most certainly wasn't much of a looker when you zoomed up close.
                Nope, the city building feature of Fallout 4 has nothing to do with Minecraft (at least not directly). That was a mod for New Vegas. The majority of new features in Fallout 4 existed as mods for the previous ones, just as Survival mode, aiming down sights and gun modding were introduced in New Vegas after three very popular F3 mods. It's actually very creative way for Bethesda to stay relatively fresh and still be sure they're including features people like.

Comment

Bethesda being creative? HAH!!!!!

Seriously thou, aping after modders is hardly what I'd call being creative. Copying someone else's work is not being original no matter is it's the Call of Duty franchise you're copying or modders. You've got to be completely stupid or a complete shill to think that copying someone else's idea has any semblance of originality to it.

Comment

Working...
                  X