Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Gaming To Hit 1,700 Games

Phoronix: Steam Linux Gaming To Hit 1,700 Games

This forthcoming week will surely mark 1,700 Linux games being able natively via Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam certainly seems like they're keeping quiet about actual Linux metrics as the survey only shows on Desktop Linux & randomizes leaving a large amount of Steam Linuxers uncounted.

I wonder if that information is more VIP at this time.

1700 games, we'll slowly reach parity with Windows imo, the future is bright.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      1700 games, we'll slowly reach parity with Windows imo, the future is bright.
      But Windows moves too 7091 games for Windows currently, OSX 2643 and Linux 1699.

Which is 24% of games available for Windows and 64% when compared to OSX... so, basically percentage only on comparison to OSX goes up
      Last edited by dungeon; 06 December 2015, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Every time i see a post beating this dead 1% horse, there is always a few posts on the forums trying to find ways to point out that the number is misleading.
        How many frequent steam users have switched over to linux? At best, some more casual gamers have stopped dual booting.

I'm happy for more games (though I already have a backlog of around 100 steam games for linux to go through), but I wouldn't really be expecting people to switch over if they played a lot of games.

The biggest reasons are still
        1. Some of the most popular games are not available, or have shitty ports.
        2. Graphics drivers kind of suck under linux. Perhaps Vulkan will change things (at least, it pushes the workload over to the engines, and will have much simpler drivers, so less chance of them being shitty), but that's still years off.

The only reason I see developers still releasing for linux is because
        1. Porting isn't really *that* difficult if you are already releasing on ps4, xbone, mac, windows, android, iphone.
        2. It has been, up to more recently, been a smaller market place, which means more sales for whatever mediocre game that pops up.

I'm actually surprised that developers bother. I'm not sure I would if I ran a company.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
          I'm actually surprised that developers bother. I'm not sure I would if I ran a company.
          You know that Valve has force powers So, if you are developer and want your game to show up in SteamOS big picture mode... you are better doing it

However, it would appear that the latest Beta releases of the Steam for Linux client now correctly displays only games that are compatible with SteamOS and Linux, despite the fact that only the SteamOS logo is currently shown for them.

We've made a few tests, switching a few times between the stable and Beta client of Steam for Linux, and indeed the feature now works correctly in Big Picture mode, making it much easier for Linux and SteamOS users to find games that are compatible with their operating system.
          http://news.softpedia.com/news/steam...e-497207.shtml
          Last edited by dungeon; 07 December 2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
            Every time i see a post beating this dead 1% h...
            ...means more sales for whatever mediocre game that pops up.

Honestly, i think linux' future looks bright, despite all this GFX and Wayland/Xorg problems. We're sitting on a cusp right now. It'll iron out and when it does, everything will start to come togethor nicely. All this work going in to linux via mantle/vulcan, hardware support via consoles, SteamOS and machines, etc all points to that brighter future for Linux. The bigger picture to me is a convergance of ALL operating systems supporting the same basic protocols and standards for products designed to access as many people as possible (games, music etc) via projects that are opening up like MS' numerous efforts, Apples continual release of projects like Clang. 20 bucks says DX will come to linux (albeit not opensourced) when Wayland+GFX drivers matures. All these companies will be competing on their branding Soon(TM) enough at the consumer level and focusing more then on their specialties like MS' saturation+Office, Apple 'hipster+ease-of-use' factor and linux/BSD serious server and OS flexibility. Sure, they'll be more to it than that, but I dont think it's the dull picture you're painting to be honest. Thing's jsut need a little longer to bake as old and legacy systems die off and everything else matures. the internet wasn't built in a day, BUt it WAS built on *nix
            Hi

Comment

These things have been said for years, "linux 1%, it's about to get better, linux is taking over" etc. but I think things will only get better, and probably more quickly now.

I'm betting on Vulkan (all the game console makers are now Khronos contributors) and Steam making a difference. there is so much decent hardware out there, and if windows gets more control over licensing, there could be a lot of steam OS machines popping up.

Comment

I don't have a PC with Windows.

Can I stream games from my Mac to Steam machine if there are not available for Linux/Steam OS?

Comment

I don't have a PC with Windows. Can I stream games from my Mac to Steam machines if there are not available for Linux/Steam OS?

Comment

Linux gaming is DOA without Steam Machines.

And Steam Machines are DOA.

Comment

Working...
                    X