Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendetta Curse of Raven's Cry Is Another Sad Linux Game Port

Phoronix: Vendetta Curse of Raven's Cry Is Another Sad Linux Game Port

Last week marked the release of Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry that was greeted by a Linux release on the same day as the OS X and Windows game release. Given that there were reports of a command-line driven benchmarking mode, I decided to try out the game. However, in total I spent just ten minutes inside the game.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From what I've heard of this game it didn't perform great on Windows even. In fact it doesn't seem to have been a good game period.

Comment

Michael, you should really start looking into demos before buying these games. Save yourself the time, money, and bandwidth. If the demo doesn't work well then surely the rest of the game won't. I understand not all games have demos, but a lot of them do.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Vendetta Curse of Raven's Cry Is Another Sad Linux Game Port

Last week marked the release of Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry that was greeted by a Linux release on the same day as the OS X and Windows game release. Given that there were reports of a command-line driven benchmarking mode, I decided to try out the game. However, in total I spent just ten minutes inside the game.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22448
        Just a note: Run Half-Life 2: Update instead of Half-Life 2. Smoother experience. Gamepad support.

Comment

Michael, you should really look at my comment on your previous article about Raven where i pointed out the possibility of this

here it is again. Raven had cpu bottleneck which made your game perform absolutely the same (and terrible slow) on all gpus and that bottleneck is not tied to graphics as using different card or different settings makes 0 difference or minimal since frame time is a little faster, changing cpu on the other hand does.

it is enough to just check cpu utilization to see it if they fixed it or not. but, until they fix this bug which as it seems they haven't, any benchmark is absolutely pointless
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 25 November 2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            Michael, you should really look at my comment on your previous article about Raven where i pointed out the possibility of this

here it is again. Raven had cpu bottleneck which made your game perform absolutely the same (and terrible slow) on all gpus and that bottleneck is not tied to graphics as using different card or different settings makes 0 difference, changing cpu on the other hand does.

it is enough to just check cpu utilization to see it if they fixed it or not. but, until they fix this bug which as it seems they haven't, any benchmark is absolutely pointless
            Hence why I tested it, discovered still crap, wrote article, and returned game. Refund already honored and now Linux gamers know.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Michael, you should really start looking into demos before buying these games. Save yourself the time, money, and bandwidth. If the demo doesn't work well then surely the rest of the game won't. I understand not all games have demos, but a lot of them do.
              Publishers don't release many demos these days. It doesn't jive well with their hit and run tactics.

Comment

You have 2 weeks to refund, why return it instantly out of anger, instead of contacting the developer and trying to work it out? It wouldn't be the first example of someone releasing a patch for the benchmarking feature.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  You have 2 weeks to refund, why return it instantly out of anger, instead of contacting the developer and trying to work it out? It wouldn't be the first example of someone releasing a patch for the benchmarking feature.
                  The studio really doesn't seem to care, at all.
                  The original was released several months ago, after more delays than Duke Nukem Forever ever had and people who pre-ordered the physical disc are still waiting on their orders (which are also constantly being delayed).

If even the months of bugfixing and the re-release under a different name didn't fix it, it's unlikely to be fixed in two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    I'm short on time as it is then to spend time waiting to see if they improve the performance or sort out the benchmarking support for a game that's downright awful in the first place for both NVIDIA and AMD on Linux.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X