Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Been 3 Years Since Valve Launched The Steam Linux Beta, Now At 1,600+ Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BreezeDM
    replied
    162/256 games in my library are on Linux. I only buy Linux games now. No one is betting on SteamOS or SteamMachines to compete with consoles. The best I hope for is that when game companies do a cost/benefit analysis of publishing a client on Linux that the value is positive. That is the goal I hope SteamOS and Steam Machines help achieve.

Leave a comment:

• Filiprino
    replied
    Currently, 1/3 of the games in my catalog are available for GNU/Linux.
    And thanks to Valve's initiative we also got GOG.com supporting GNU/Linux.

SteamOS based computers will remain niche for sure. Windows gaming is niche already, compared to consoles. But that is not the only Valve product: they have steamlink and so on.

Anyways, thinks can only improve: Vulkan, newer Linux kernel releases with incremental performance improvements, newer window protocols for desktop applications which improve the dated X.Org.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    New game for penguins every day, can't be better.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    I think steam machines are going to successfully retain a niche market. Not come close to competing with current consoles in numbers, yet be sustainable anyway...

But whatever happens Valve foraying into Linux has had a tremendously positive impact on Linux gaming. Number of games, developer attitudes, Vulkan push, tools/ecosystem, a lot of good has happened and is happening which they were directly involved in.

Leave a comment:

• It's Been 3 Years Since Valve Launched The Steam Linux Beta, Now At 1,600+ Linux Games

Phoronix: It's Been 3 Years Since Valve Launched The Steam Linux Beta, Now At 1,600+ Linux Games

It's now been three years since Valve rolled out the Steam Linux beta...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nux-Beta-Three
Working...
X