Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trine 3 Released For Linux

Phoronix: Trine 3 Released For Linux

One month after Trine 3 went into beta on Linux, this action role-playing game has been officially release for SteamOS / Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam reviews don't seem to say anything good about it. Not sure if it's even worth a buy..

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
      Steam reviews don't seem to say anything good about it. Not sure if it's even worth a buy..
      Maybe, but it currently is on sale for $10. Even if it's an average game, I'm personally willing to spend a few bucks for a game that runs on Linux. In fact, I already did lol. It's certainly different than the last two Trine games so far, but the graphics are top notch.

Comment

x2, the graphics are excellent, and it's even a lot of fun to play. For $10, it's a no-brainer, just do it. My lunch today cost more than this, and it wasn't nearly as much fun, lol.

Comment

I suspect the Steam review are heavily influenced by the severe backlash against the transition to 3D which, by all accounts, wasn't a good step for the series.

Comment

Also it is on gog.com but without DRM

Comment

Originally posted by lakerssuperman View Post
              Maybe, but it currently is on sale for $10. Even if it's an average game, I'm personally willing to spend a few bucks for a game that runs on Linux. In fact, I already did lol. It's certainly different than the last two Trine games so far, but the graphics are top notch.
              Does it have side-by-side (SBS) 3D? Trine 1&2 on Windows have SBS 3D, Linux versions don't.

A general note (not Trine-specific): most OpenGL/Direct3D games should have SBS 3D because it is very easy to implement. I don't understand why players aren't demanding SBS 3D from game developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post

It's an average game, but well worth a buy at discount. The reason it gets so much "bad" reviews is because the last 2 Trines were AWESOME and people were expecting awesomness.
                If you're tight on $ or time, play Trine 1 and 2, better gameplay, better story, better control and yet shiny (or at least good looking) graphics.

Comment

It received poor reviews because this game has less content in it than the past two entries and the games characters are very limited in their abilities when compared to previous entries. The price stayed full, the content dropped and the developers were not completely clear about the changed content expectation until after the game released. It's more than enough to get you pass the refund limit, but it's at about half of what you would expect when compared to the first or second game. Your characters abilities were far more versatile and potent in the first two games. In this one, you have limits that make the game feel bareboned. There is much less agency for players, you feel like you're stuck on the designers path. It's true that you're technically always stuck on their path, but in the past it felt like the player decided how to proceed while having many options available to do so. Now the game is more limited than a player trying to change water levels in Ocarina of Times Water Temple.

You can't give people freedom and brilliance two nights in a row then expect them to be excited with mediocrity because it's superficially beautiful.

Comment

and the game is 64bit only, sadly for me :-(

Comment

Working...
                    X