Steam Linux Usage Increases Slightly, Still Below 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    For gathering information about a user's hardware, cpu and gpu models, etc, I agree with your assertions.

But that doesn't really make sense for simply discerning Windows vs. Linux vs. OSX. Again, every webmaster on earth gets that data from the browser string. Michael here on Phoronix can tell us exactly how many people visit his web site from Windows vs. Linux vs. OSX vs. whatever, and nobody is crying tinfoil hat, it's an accepted practice. Plus the fact that Steam has an in-built web browser, for browsing the Steam store, so it should have this capability inherently, without some manual "survey".
    I agree, but it still doesn't change the fact that people are still going to choose to be paranoid. These hardware surveys, to my knowledge, only occur when you're logged into the steam client and does not apply when you're signed in from a web page. Most of the hardware detection is fully automated, so it is a little more "intrusive" than what web browsers will tell you.
    Personally, I'd like it if Steam just collected information about everyone and just tell all the paranoid people to deal with it. This survey information is very useful.

Comment

I wonder if linux users are being kept quiet until after steam OS in fully released. just imagine. "Linux is the fastest-growing gaming platform! user base jumped 2000% this month!"

Half joking.

Comment

Had my first survey in tens of months today
        Thanks to the commenter who mentioned that, this reminded me to fire up steam again.

It feels strange to have it now just before SM launch, while I haven't got it on linux, only on windows when I occasionally fire it up in a VM or with wine.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I agree, but it still doesn't change the fact that people are still going to choose to be paranoid. These hardware surveys, to my knowledge, only occur when you're logged into the steam client and does not apply when you're signed in from a web page. Most of the hardware detection is fully automated, so it is a little more "intrusive" than what web browsers will tell you.
          That sounds weird to me, because if you care about your privacy, you will not use Steam to begin with. It phones home every time you try to do much of anything. And privacy statements are just words (no to mention that making it a survey does not inherently change the privacy policy).

Comment

Hmm, same here, first survey.
            Also same as icewater, just got back into some PC gaming this year due to Linux steam support. Been like 10 years.

Also I have 3 computers/os (1xdual boot) with same steam account. Only one survey.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              if that numbers are right, and not wrong because of problems like Creak suggests. I think in 1 year Steammachines will be the number 2 on that list right behind windows. Depends a bit on the rollout of course, if they sell the steammachines on our big elektronic markets, what I guess they will do, it will in my estimation be a big success.

Maybe not in germany, we will see, people here seem often to "be cheap". On the other hand in computer forums ofter are 100% of people that build their pcs by their self, there a steammachine can never compete, but that is not representative for the masses

If i recall correctly they only sell it at GameStop. So you will probably not seeing the SteamMachine at "MediaMarkt", "Saturn" or something alike ...

Comment

I've been using Steam under Linux since it was first released, and I only just got the survey the other day for the first time under Linux (twice under Windows, and I hardly ever boot into it these days.

I booted into it the other day to see if the Steam Controller was having the same weird issues in Windows as it does under linux (the right touchpad being sluggish in the middle and way too fast outside of that) and then discovered that my hard drive with Steam installed decided to eat itself. Awesome that Windows10 wouldn't even show it in the Disk management, yet linux would mount it okay (initially, then I did some stupid stuff, now I'm trying to recover data....)

Comment

Steam must measure what OS you log in from, when the steam client for OS X was released they gave you a promo hat for TF2 if you logged into your Steam account on a Mac. No hardware survey was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    That sounds weird to me, because if you care about your privacy, you will not use Steam to begin with. It phones home every time you try to do much of anything. And privacy statements are just words (no to mention that making it a survey does not inherently change the privacy policy).
                    I agree, but the average paranoid idiot either doesn't know that or prefers to deny that just so they can get decent deals on games. There are so many ways your computer is being "spied on" on a regular basis and yet these people still choose to surf the internet, submit their email address to something, or give companies their phone numbers. It's all pretty hypocritical.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                      Had my first survey in tens of months today
                      Originally posted by suberimakuri
                      Hmm, same here, first survey.
                      That compensates the fact that I've gotten like 4 surveys and I've used Steam some 15 hours max (probably less than that) since it first came out. I guess it's the nature of randomness.

Although, I'm pretty sure the survey isn't used to get most of the monthly statistics, but for something else no one has any clue about.

Comment

Working...
                      X