Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are The Open-Source Graphics Drivers Good Enough For Steam Linux Gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Something like mesamatrix except a list of games supported instead of a list of GL extensions.
    More something like winehq or dolphin's wiki, since mesamatrix is automatic and I don't see it happening for this
    But yeah, that'd be nice.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    One thing remains true: Open drivers on cards that work well with them (like all of my r600 cards) are good enough for open source gaming. Even my Nvidia GTX450 (without reclocking) will deliver usable frame rates on everything I've got, including Scorched3d, 0ad, and Criticalmass/Critter. Criticalmass is an interesting case, in that it is a 2d game in opengl that should need little graphics capability-except that it tends to drop bunches of frames at once. This is so bad it has to render 300+ fps just to ensure that what actually goes on screen does not include the dropped/repeated frames.

I've said for years: free software works best with free content, do not be surprised if paid content demands paid or at least proprietary software. One machine might be able to play AAA games and watch Netflix. Another might be able to post something without the FBI being able to figure out who posted it. The same system install, possibly the same hardware, cannot do both at once. If the free Radeon driver did not exist, I would not be able to use the GPU accelerated features now under development for the kdenlive video editor.In fact, I would not even be able to run compiz without free opengl drivers.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    One thing missing in this is the rendering.
    How does it compare between the blobs and the oss drivers?

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    When Michael posts benchmarks of weaker stuff (e.g. Xonotic), the forum erupts. 'What's the point?' they cry, 'Why don't you benchmark AAA Steam games?' they holler. That's what Michael as delivered, and the first post is basically 'Maybe you should try some less demanding indie games?'.

Ha ha, I supposed you're damned if you do and damned if you don't
    Michael's articles have really increased in interrest since he benchmarks "modern" games.

Who care if Xonotic runs at 360 or 420fps really?
    => duby229 and dungeon when the OSS is onpar with catalyst

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    I know from my experience Borderlands 2 runs great on my 290 on radeonsi. Its by far my most played AAA title (Civ 5 is also big, but it doesn't care much about FPS so you could play it with anything over 20 fps really) and since Mesa 10.3ish I've been able to get 60+ fps playing it.

Looking forward to also getting the Pre-Sequel soonish.

One important takeaway is that most of the port games from third parties run like crap no matter what driver you are using relative to Windows, since the reworked renderers are often just direct line translations of DirectX and thus have no optimizations and take little advantage of OpenGL features. Source engine games are the gold standard, Unity is usually alright but suffers from a lack of optimization focus as well (on top of Unity implicitly being a bit slower due to its portability) and UE3 games are completely dependent on the port quality.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    When Michael posts benchmarks of weaker stuff (e.g. Xonotic), the forum erupts. 'What's the point?' they cry, 'Why don't you benchmark AAA Steam games?' they holler. That's what Michael as delivered, and the first post is basically 'Maybe you should try some less demanding indie games?'.

I didn't say anything at all about indie games. Sorry to hurt your imagination. I do prefer to see AAA games benchmarked, and there are AAA games that work on the OSS drivers.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Of course yes, if you buy graphics cards with good support and games that are known to work on them. But that requires some amount of education.

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    ...I don't disagree exactly, some points you make are spot on, other points are influenced by your needs that are unique to you alone. I know for a fact that steam has more games that can run on the OSS drivers than you benched....

Leave a comment:

• bokal
    replied
    R9 270X + RadeonSI here, Steam games work really well for me. Bought an AMD card to be able to game using OSS drivers, never had a problem, never looked back.

So... Are the Open-Source Graphics Drivers Good Enough For Steam Linux Gaming? Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    If you want to play Portal 2 using open source Radeon drivers you need to run this script.

Code:

#!/bin/bash DIR=$HOME/.local/share/Steam/  echo "Removing libstd" find $DIR -iname "libstd*" -exec rm -rf {} \;  echo "Removing libgcc" find $DIR -iname "libgcc*" -exec rm -rf {} \;  echo "All Done"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X