Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed For Linux Until Next Spring

Phoronix: Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed For Linux Until Next Spring

While Batman: Arkham Knight was promoted as coming to SteamOS, Linux, and Mac in "Fall 2015", it turns out that this game won't be out in time for the Steam Machines. Batman: Arkham Knight has been delayed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope we'll get better performance than it was on Windows on release day... Am I dreaming?

Comment

Maybe the open-source drivers will be able to play it by the time it finally releases!

Comment

"This is due to extra development time needed to ensure good performance and wide-ranging support for OS X, Linux and SteamOS."
        Yeah wide - stay tuned for the "AMD and Intel not supported" title
        Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

That has to be propaganda. They don't test on anything but nvidia hardware. Their own requirement pages for their games make that plainly obvious. My guess is they used some nonstandard feature of nvidia's driver -again- and now they are stuck because they don't know what to do.

EDIT: Maybe I am wrong. But if I am then a Feral rep should be out debunking.
          Last edited by duby229; 28 October 2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            EDIT: Maybe I am wrong. But if I am then a Feral rep should be out debunking.
            They are https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...1/page=4#46409

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah wide - stay tuned for the "AMD and Intel not supported" title
              Not feral's fault if AMD and Intel are unable to properly implement the opengl specification.

Anyone who thinks it's some great conspiracy just needs to read something like the dolphin developer's blog where they detailed all the issues with non-nvidia drivers on linux.

Comment

There is just no way they test / develop on ONLY nVidia hardware. They might have an easier time there and find it easier to get decent performance or make it work, but being that blind to other cards would just be absurd. It could also be that the original code just doesn't translate well to AMD OpenGL drivers vs. the AMD DirectX stack or since AMD drivers just seem to suck and perhaps are so completely different that it's like writing against 2 different hardware platforms vs. nVidia which uses like 90-95% the same code across their Windows, Linux and FreeBSD drivers.
                Last edited by rhavenn; 28 October 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Not feral's fault if AMD and Intel are unable to properly implement the opengl specification.
                  Depending how you look at it, you're basically implying that nvidia is the sole proprietor of the OpenGL specification, which is obviously wrong. Sure, maybe Intel and AMD haven't fully caught up with mesa, but they're still following the spec the way it was meant to be. You don't need the full openGL spec to play most games.

It shouldn't be the hardware manufacturer's responsibility to make sure a game runs on their hardware. As long as they follow the specs (which all 3 companies do) then the game should work. It should be up to the game developers to make sure it works across all platforms. If it doesn't, that's a mistake on the developer's behalf, not the hardware manufacturer and probably not the driver devs either. Again, that's assuming the drivers were properly coded to spec.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 28 October 2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

Anyone who thinks it's some great conspiracy just needs to read something like the dolphin developer's blog where they detailed all the issues with non-nvidia drivers on linux.
                    I have heard that AMD actually writes much closer to the OpenGL spec and Intel is just in the Mesa stack, but they just don't have enough "OOoomphh" to be a gaming video card. nVidia works better, but isn't necessarily OpenGL spec compliant or as close to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X