Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed For Linux Until Next Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

I have heard that AMD actually writes much closer to the OpenGL spec and Intel is just in the Mesa stack, but they just don't have enough "OOoomphh" to be a gaming video card. nVidia works better, but isn't necessarily OpenGL spec compliant or as close to it.
    That is actually true as Nvidia uses non-standard compliant OpenGL and most staff are specifically made for their cards. In fact, Physx can run on AMD videocard but Nvidia will not allow it.
    Nvidia's new 340.52 graphics driver disables GPU PhysX and enables CPU Physics whenever a non-Nvidia GPU is detected and believed to be active.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      That has to be propaganda.

They don't test on anything but nvidia hardware. Their own requirement pages for their games make that plainly obvious.

My guess is they used some nonstandard feature of nvidia's driver -again- and now they are stuck because they don't know what to do.

EDIT: Maybe I am wrong. But if I am then a Feral rep should be out debunking.
      Them needs make money and if linux nvidia shows around 80 to 85% of market is logical them have priority to nvidia

Respect amd normally appears first closed source driver support, stay around middle of actual market quota around 8% of market

Make games for around 8% of market dont care

Hopefully amd in 2016 shows better products with good ratio watt/performance (16/14nm)

In good news have around 8 months for improve drivers (closed/opensource) and on intel side drivers stay progressing too maybe can give support first to intel than amd

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

Not feral's fault if AMD and Intel are unable to properly implement the opengl specification.

Anyone who thinks it's some great conspiracy just needs to read something like the dolphin developer's blog where they detailed all the issues with non-nvidia drivers on linux.
        Simple test you can do on your own : install piglit, and run it against various drivers. compare results...

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Not feral's fault if AMD and Intel are unable to properly implement the opengl specification.
          Well their games ports are much slower then from what they port of - even for nVidia.

So i am not sure what Feral merits are, if game runs let say 70% of Windows perfromance on nVidia, but AMD as they say also renders fine but let say it runs 50% of performance... So yes it is about performance, not about somewhat improper specs implementation.
          Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Ah sh*t... I already bought a copy of CDkeys.com hoping I'd get to play the game this Autumn.

Well on the bright side I'll now more time to play other games in my backlog, which actually pretty long (with titles like Diablo 3, This War of Mine, Metro 2033 and Last Light, Company of Heroes 2 and Alien: Isolation). Can't say I care that much about AMD support due to how their Linux driver support has always been lackluster to say the least. The only positive thing I can say about AMD's drivers on Linux is that they have pretty good OpenCL performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
              Then buy nvidia. AMD is dead anyway.
              1. It would be very bad for the industry if AMD was dead. Calling it dead if it isn't doesn't help.

2. Sadly, Nvidia has no proper OSS drivers, which results in bad long term support.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

I have heard that AMD actually writes much closer to the OpenGL spec and Intel is just in the Mesa stack, but they just don't have enough "OOoomphh" to be a gaming video card. nVidia works better, but isn't necessarily OpenGL spec compliant or as close to it.
                In my experience as an opengl newbie this is true. I own an nvidia card and so I only used it to test my code. Testing it on amd revealed a lot of mistakes I made that nvidia played nice on. Going from amd and nvidia to mesa was even worse though. (worse as in mesa was more correct)

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post

In my experience as an opengl newbie this is true. I own an nvidia card and so I only used it to test my code. Testing it on amd revealed a lot of mistakes I made that nvidia played nice on. Going from amd and nvidia to mesa was even worse though. (worse as in mesa was more correct)
                  So you suggest to develop on mesa? Would be interesting to see if that code works in nvidia and catalyst without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

So you suggest to develop on mesa? Would be interesting to see if that code works in nvidia and catalyst without problems.
                    From all that I can tell, nvidia's driver works just fine with standards compliant code, it's just that it allows stuff that isn't compliant. Which in this environment is actually a bad thing because most code is developed on nvidia hardware. It's possible to develop code without even knowing that your code isn't compliant because nvidia's driver doesn't try to prevent it. Works out good for nvidia and nothing else.

That's why game devs cannot assume that because it works on nvidia that must mean it works. No, just no. Game devs still need to run their code through compliance testing suits. There are a number of them available. I don't understand why compliance testing is so rare. Especially since it's common knowledge.
                    Last edited by duby229; 28 October 2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      Logic said that if game render, perform excelent and is stable on underclocked nouveau, it should run everywhere - even on llvmpipe

Comment

Working...
                      X