Alien Isolation Is Now Available For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    R9 390 + 7850K + 1080p + Catalyst 15.9 + all video settings at max: usually 20 or 30 FPS, 15 FPS in complex scenes, all cutscenes at 60 FPS, loading screens at 1-2 FPS

(added 1 line to controllermapping.txt to enable the gamepad)

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    The only thing that's stupid is buying AMD graphics and using them with Linux.
    The only thing that's stupid is buying proprietary Nvidia drivers and using them with open-source softwares stack.

Leave a comment:

• mazumoto
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Woah, it's really trippy on my machine :

Alien Isolation on up-to-date Arch Linux install using the RadeonSI OSS driver, mesa 11.0.4-1PC Specs : i5 core 7507970 1GHz edition8GB RAM

[...]

There were issues loading though, the fps dropped to dead zero at points during loading, and it took a lot longer than I expected (loading from an SSD, at points it seemed to hang, but it got there eventually).
    Yeah, looked the same here. Try to set SSAO to HDAO (the middle option), that helped a lot for me. With that setting, only particles and smoke are trippy and it's a lot darker (too dark even).

And yeah, I also noticed the strange loading behaviour ...

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Speaking about bad ports of windows games to Linux: I can't run Civ Beyond Earth using wine due to DX11, but I can run Civ5. And it "feels" faster using gallium nine than the native port. Loading is a bit slower on wine, though. I'm still trying to fight the benchmark mode to get actual numbers.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    That glitches are actually so cool , we don't need to take some exotic shrooms for the same effect

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Woah, it's really trippy on my machine :

Alien Isolation on up-to-date Arch Linux install using the RadeonSI OSS driver, mesa 11.0.4-1PC Specs : i5 core 7507970 1GHz edition8GB RAM

This is on Arch Linux, fully up-to-date using the RadeonSI driver on a 7970 on mesa 11.0.4. I've used the default graphics settings, which are set to low everything, except I changed the resolution to 1080p. If you're not able to click through to Youtube, there's massive graphical corruption, it looks like playing it on acid. Basically it's completely unplayable on my machine.

The initial cutscenes (not shown) actually rendered correctly, but once I got into the gameplay it went haywire. There were issues loading though, the fps dropped to dead zero at points during loading, and it took a lot longer than I expected (loading from an SSD, at points it seemed to hang, but it got there eventually).

Still, it's the first Ferel game that I didn't already have from buying it on Windows, so it's the first time my money has gone to them so I'm happy to support them.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    No, but not supporting ANY drivers except from a single vendor does.

At most, you can claim they have good support for Nvidia systems. Not Linux, not without at least 1 alternative driver supported.
    I'd say it does suck because it's pretty obvious they aren't even trying to comply with OpenGL standards. If they could say that this game complies with GL4.3, then I'd say that's fine, but that isn't what was said. Instead they only claim that it requires nvidia drivers, which is well known that they allow nonstandard behavior. At this point the only fault I can find is Feral.

I want to buy games for linux, but I will not give up support for OSS ideals to do that. That's what makes it suck.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Well they wrote there whatever they want it seems, according to this comment game seems to work fine with Catalyst:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...1/page=3#46401

But yeah according to review that performance is still in area of known Feral 60% on nVidia Linux when compared with Windows, maybe on eye it is something again like SoM 40% on AMD

If 60% support is there, but @40% support is not there - probably that is the logic
    Last edited by dungeon; 27 October 2015, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post

'Not supporting AMD' is not the same as 'sucks'.
    No, but not supporting ANY drivers except from a single vendor does.

At most, you can claim they have good support for Nvidia systems. Not Linux, not without at least 1 alternative driver supported.

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

Are they again only supporting newer nvidia cards? If i remember correctly the last feral port wanted 7xx series or newer.
    Speaking of limiting your user base.

Really guys, even vps eon ports are better than ferals at this point.
    As user duby shows before

But now them shows 6xx series of 1024mb of memory with 355.11 drivers or upper as minimum in alien isolation mini site

In company of heroes 2 (feral lastest title launched until alien) geforce 6xx series are minimum supported both iris pro

Last edited by pinguinpc; 27 October 2015, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X