Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Isolation Is Now Available For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Alien Isolation Is Now Available For Linux Gamers

Alien: Isolation was supposed to be released for Linux in late September with the porting done by Feral Interactive but they ended up delaying the release. Today though Alien: Isolation is now available for Steam on Linux!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please look at this game in AMD GPU. I know, its unsupported but look at this. Maybe works but not as good as NVIDIA but work or have poor performance or other issues.

Comment

Will you be able to compare it with Windows version?

Comment

Originally posted by totoz View Post
        Will you be able to compare it with Windows version?
        Only if a lot of tips / new subscribers come in to make it worthwhile to do a Windows install on a system plus any changes needed to make the test profile compatible with Windows.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The Linux port was done by Feral Interactive, so it should be quite good
          Meh, Rising Tide is quite slow on Linux -- even on an Radeon R9 290X I borrowed. I wouldn't call that good.

Now I know that both, radeonsi (mesa+llvm-git) and catalyst OpenGL are slower than DirectX on Win, but come on! That card should have more than enough power to run the game without hickups on "low settings" Linux, even if the driver is inefficient. It works without issues on Win10.

By the way: my Radeon 5570 didn't seem slower than 290X. Maybe it's not the GPU? Who knows...

Comment

The Linux port was done by Feral Interactive, so it should be quite good
            Nope. Linux support sucks. As proven by your very next sentence:

However, Alien: Isolation is just working right now for NVIDIA Linux drivers/hardware with AMD and Intel currently being unsupported.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Nope. Linux support sucks. As proven by your very next sentence:
              'Not supporting AMD' is not the same as 'sucks'. The tests Phoronix has done show that AMD's Linux drivers don't make the best use of the hardware. I've been playing Feral's port of Shadow of Mordor since it came out, and it's worked well - good framerate, entirely stable. Yes, I'm using Nvidia hardware - a GTX 970 - but based on the current situation, that's the best bet for Linux.

I'd be very happy if AMD could improve their drivers. I'm actually quite hopeful for Vulkan to do just that. But for now, I can't say that I'm surprised that there are Nvidia-only releases on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post

'Not supporting AMD' is not the same as 'sucks'. The tests Phoronix has done show that AMD's Linux drivers don't make the best use of the hardware. I've been playing Feral's port of Shadow of Mordor since it came out, and it's worked well - good framerate, entirely stable. Yes, I'm using Nvidia hardware - a GTX 970 - but based on the current situation, that's the best bet for Linux.
                It's only partly AMD's fault. Most of these games are NVidia-only ports. The AMD driver never really got tested during development. Granted, NVidia's OpenGL driver is better optimized and contains profiles for different games, but catalyst shouldn't perform that bad if it was tested tested during development.

Comment

I just bought the game specifically for Linux! I have an AMD GPU, so I hope I can make due with the FOSS drivers, I guess I will find out soon.

Comment

Good luck , with Shadow of Mordor we talking of like 60ish% performance when compared to Windows version of the game, that on nVidia hardware Linux vs Windows .

On AMD Linux vs Windows (using Catalyst of course) i think it is something below 40% Stick Out Tongue

Comment

Working...
                    X