Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards On SteamOS For Steam Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    You've got a reasonably recent setup there so most games will play just fine. But yes there are some that still don't play well or at all. Michael already pointed that out. However that won't remain true forever. Instead of wasting your time trying to convince people that it can't work maybe you should consider OSS ideals.
    I wasn't trying to convince anybody about what the future may hold.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Sooner or later those same changes that are in git code right now will make ot to stable releases and when it does those will get benchmarked and it will become more obvious. So hate on haters soon enough none of you will have an argument to stand on.
    I am in favor of competition. Let there be good OSS drivers and good closed-source drivers. People will choose by themselves, based on their individual preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

I wasn't trying to convince anybody about what the future may hold.

I am in favor of competition. Let there be good OSS drivers and good closed-source drivers. People will choose by themselves, based on their individual preferences.
      I just think that's asking too much is all. The proprietary driver is dead weight that is dragging AMD down. You may not have problems with it, but most people do and that hurts AMD. You may want competition, but you won't get it if AMD dies.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
        Man, AMD is terrible at drivers...
        yep, after spending years with a notebook with a 4850 and the shitty linux drivers with slightly better windoze drivers I vowed NEVER ATI again. The 4850 notebook was a result of my giving them one last chance, although I did build an entire AMD 'nostalgia' system fx-9590, r9 280x, and did pick up an a10-7850k to experiment with but as usual AMD software lags generations behind their hardware and they're no better than ati at software.

Additionally since ATI branched out into heating augmentation I'm even happier to have dropped them as a potential supplier. I'm not even convinced that GCN is a good arch, and am skeptical about HBM but that may just be more ATI sw shittiness.

[EDIT]
        Catalyst is really just a corollary of having to produce a driver for the more important commercial/pro cards, the fire series. Really the same thing for nvidia but they appear to actually take their sw seriously.

As to ATI drivers better since 2009?! GTFO man! They're just as shittily broken now as they were 9y (and more) ago. Hell I've had instances where their shitty released driver wouldn't even completely install, failing randomly in thee process -> rolling back to the old 'stable' driver. The only improvement that I can note is that they finally fscking figured out how to restore the display in windows AFTER replacing the video driver whereas before you got a black screen, and got to guess if it was finished installing under windows, meanwhile as far as I can remember nvidia ALWAYS managed that.
        [/EDIT]
        Last edited by cutterjohn; 25 October 2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
          and am skeptical about HBM but that may just be more ATI sw shittiness.
          You're skeptical of HBM? The whole graphics industry has bought into that. What is it you think doesn't work?

Comment

Some people are bashing AMD's Windows drivers. IMO their windows drivers are very good quality these days. And Most Windows PC gamers now agree on that. With windows 10 AMD is as good or better than Nvidia. However there is a section of people who is hung up on the past and will keep repeating bs or reinforcing old myths like "AMD drivers suck" etc. They will use every opportunity and every little incident to reinforce that. While an Nvidia issue would be treated as an isolated incident without jumping to conclusions like "Nvidia sucks". A lot of it is marketing and brand strength... With Windows AMD is very good because they have put the resources into it and it shows what they are capable of.

Comment

I've just installed SteamOS 2.0 and tested out of the box performance (so catalyst 15.7) in Dirt Showdown and I got 44.45 on my budget (filled with Amd hardware) PC: Athlon X4 750k @4.4GHz, MSI R7 260X, Dirt settings Ultra, MSAA x8 => 44.45 fps. So again better then 750ti.

Comment

Originally posted by faldżip View Post
                I've just installed SteamOS 2.0 and tested out of the box performance (so catalyst 15.7) in Dirt Showdown and I got 44.45 on my budget (filled with Amd hardware) PC: Athlon X4 750k @4.4GHz, MSI R7 260X, Dirt settings Ultra, MSAA x8 => 44.45 fps. So again better then 750ti.
                Also did you notice that the 2d stuff is very fast and responsive in steamOS. Even when you exit steam and go the gnome desktop and browse the Internet with iceweasel it seems very snappy.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                  ... and am skeptical about HBM but that may just be more ATI sw shittiness.
                  R9 Fury X with 4096 shader processors had no other choice than to lower the memory frequency and to increase the width of the memory interface.

Comment

4K SteamOS benchmarks @ http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ew-amdnv&num=1
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• If nvidia ever got gallium 9 just imagine how well it will play crysis.

Comment

Working...
                      X