Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards On SteamOS For Steam Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@dungeon

Since when do you need a x86 CPU for Android gaming? Btw. XBox was x86, XBox 360 PowerPC, XBox One is x86. But Win 10 runs on ARM too, same base. PS3 was PowerPC+Cell, PS4 is x86. This all means nothing for next generation hardware. There has to be high GFX power for games, Nvidia is working on Pascal with HBM2 support. Could easyly combined with ARM cores - current Tegra X1 has already compute power similar to Intel i3 - I am sure AMD will face a huge competition - even Intel has stacked DRAM like the AMD chip for MS.

Comment

@artivison

Gallium Nine has no impact on Linux games, only Wine uses it. So tell me how Nine will help for these benchmarks! Do you want to run the Windows binary instead?

Comment

Thanks a lot for the Average and the price / performances charts. A Phoronix benchmark GPU average score would be great
        My Nvidia GTX 750 Ti has been my best GPU purchase until now, good and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @artivison

Gallium Nine has no impact on Linux games, only Wine uses it. So tell me how Nine will help for these benchmarks! Do you want to run the Windows binary instead?
          No its philosophical. I believe the exact opposite than Stallman: If you want free technology to advance then you must make Linux the first choice. This means that you must make compatibility with Windowz games so the sacrifice for change will be small. Then when Linux is at 20% on PC, then you may even see an AAA open source game because the need for "free" will be raise.

Comment

4K SteamOS tests should be done on Monday with the higher-end AMD/NVIDIS cards.

Will then go ahead with the SteamOS vs. Ubuntu 15.10 + LLVM 3.8 SVN + Mesa Git + Linux 4.3 on the AMD cards if I manage to get a few more tips in the next day or two....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              i can't understand why they don't give up from catalyst and put more ppl working in opensource driver
              Don't you read the news? AMD is doing this, is investing in the AMDGPU opensource driver, with also closed source support but user level only binary blob, for those that need certification or features still lacking in the open source ones.

AMD want to kill the close source driver, but cant do that quick enough. Developing drivers takes time... even intel, with huge resources invested in the linux drivers, still don't have drivers with all the features.

What i wanted to see here is this same test with the open source drivers and APUs also tested... also, both fast and slow CPUs, to see how much the CPU affects the performance

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                So just all of you accept that Radeon Gpu (big units) is not good for High level Apis where data are heavily depended between them but will be grate for Low level Asynchronous data.
                DirectX 10 and 11 are also a high level APIs, comparable to OpenGL, but they do not show those problems with AMD cards, so this statement can't really be true.

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post
                  Update: R9 390, AMD CPU 4*2GHz: 21FPS, 210% CPU usage
                  ... so it's the CPU.
                  nvidia drivers, not only use use a option to enable better multi thread for openGL (with some risks, but usually works), but also are more CPU efficient.
                  Catalyst drivers are more CPU intensive and always single thread, so the less powerful is the CPU the worst the driver will perform

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    Then when Linux is at 20% on PC, then you may even see an AAA open source game because the need for "free" will be raise.
                    You may probably see AAA games that run on open source engines, but creating AAA games costs millions of dollars, so I doubt that we will ever see AAA open source games.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Your info is just old. Very new sources can outperform Catalyst in many cases. Soon enough it will make it to stable releases. I can't wait until newer distro's get released with benchmarks available that show it clearly.
                      Please show us evidence for your claims. Since you claim that the free drivers can outperform Catalyst in many cases you must have data to base your claims on.

Comment

Working...
                      X