Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards On SteamOS For Steam Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally wonder what effect Vulkan will have on the AMD vs. NVIDIA situation, and also on SteamOS. From what I read the performace gains from switching from DX11 to DX12 were much more significant on AMD hardware. Not too surprising, considering that AMD actually invented most of the new API concepts during their Mantle effort. And AMD's biggest problem in the GPU area seem to be its drivers, which the new generation of APIs is supposed to reduce in complexity.

Comment

Metro 2033 Redux:

- Michael's benchmark with R9 290, Intel CPU 8*3GHz: 81.29 FPS, ? CPU usage
      - my machine with R9 390, AMD CPU 4*4GHz: 44 FPS, 210% CPU usage

What causes the FPS difference?

---

Update: R9 390, AMD CPU 4*2GHz: 21FPS, 210% CPU usage

... so it's the CPU.
      Last edited by Guest; 23 October 2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        I hope eON get there shit together then AMD will get better.
        if it works perfectly fine on Nvidia, then it has nothing to do with eON.
        How about AMD gets its shit together?

Comment

Compared to Windows it seems the Wine like wrappers need pretty much CPU time, too many results are more or less the same. It is a pity that usually you mainly only need to upgrade the GPU for Windows but for Linux you can still have got performance problems in case of a slower (mainly AMD) CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That chart says "frames per second per dollar".
            Oh, okay. Thanks!

Comment

When are we all going to acknowledge that AMD will be half-assing their way through the next couple of years, until older architecture cards die out.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
                When are we all going to acknowledge that AMD will be half-assing their way through the next couple of years, until older architecture cards die out.
                The entire GCN series only started two years ago, and that was after they started the r600g driver. There is no "old architecture" to die out. Their drivers suck, they need to pay more developers to make them good (preferably Mesa), they are not doing that. So Nvidia sweeps the SteamOS release.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  if it works perfectly fine on Nvidia, then it has nothing to do with eON.
                  How about AMD gets its shit together?
                  I disagree, developing for Nvidia on linux an "forgiving" opengl driver will affect performance with other stricter drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                    AMD drivers still terrible. people have been saying that they are improving for 5 years but seems nothing has changed
                    Yes and some people will look at these numbers and say not to use catalyst. But the sad part is the open source drivers are even slower, if they can run the game at all...

Is there a chance that AMD's openGL performance will ever be fixed (as in competitive with their directX performance)?
                    Or are we beating a dead horse? I know they will do great with Vulkan but openGL is not going away...

Comment

Most games are optimized for Nvidia rather than AMD Catalyst driver. In addition, Nvidia driver tends to follow non-standard coding process to achieve high performance and cut a lot of corners. With the advent of Vulkan thanks to AMD for letting Khronos using Mantle as template and the recent use of asynchronous computer will make the event more interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X